Only test sound works in v11.4

Only test sound works in v11.4…
Got a new Zotac Zbox AMD E-350 1.6GHz Dual Core, 2 GB DDR3, the specs show it has ATI sound, but OpenSUSE picks-up that there is another sound device, something SND-107. In yast and the control panels can select each one and make it produce a test sound, but everything else (i.e. apps, flash, etc.) can’t hear nothing. Wondering why it was able to recognize all other hardware without any issues, except the sound. Should I delete one of the devices listed and see if that resolves it? I’m new to Linux/OpenSUSE, my previous experience was only with IBM AIX systems way back in the old days, and a very little with BSD Unix. Getting used to GUI.

I recommend you install the application pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol), and use that to tune pulse audio for each multiimedia application the 1st time you run such an application. One can launch pavucontrol by simply typing ‘pavucontrol’ in a konsole/terminal. I wrote a blog here describing more about using pavucontrol: Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I have read of cases where users found that sound worked in YaST sound test (which is with root permissions) but not as a regular user. A couple of years ago there was a bug in a nVidia driver that in fact would cause that for some hardware. The solution in such a case sometimes is to add the users to group ‘audio’, restart their PC and test. Look at step-6 here: SDB:Audio troubleshooting - openSUSE

Thank you so much, oldcpu. Why didn’t I think about the fact that yast does everything in root/superuser… duh! Oh well… I’m studying over the blog and looking at the other great info listed there. Thanks again!