Only one of four cpu's running

This question was asked and answered here:
Intel Core 2 Quad Shows Only One Core In Cpuinfo - openSUSE Forums

But… I followed instructions to no avail.

I’m running Ubuntu on Asus Rampage MB with Intel dual core quad processor. My system monitor showed 4 processors, but at some point 3 of them quit showing. The uname command shows only 1 processor. I see 4 processors at bios initialization, but 3 disappear during boot. I tried editing the grub menu.lst file but no change.

here is my menu.lst setup:

title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-386
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-386 root=UUID=20f0c99d-4696-42f2-be9b-c2ae7de636d2 ro quiet splash pci=nommconf
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-23-386
quiet

I also tried adding acpi=off but that gave me missing tag error.

Any suggestions other than wiping my system and starting over?

Try running glxgears at full screen, see if they kick in.

where do I find that, is it already running? I’m new to Linux though I ran Xenix some 25 years ago.

Never mind, found it. Running it full screen or minimized does nothing for the number of cpu’s showing in system monitor.

> Never mind, found it. Running it full screen or minimized does nothing
> for the number of cpu’s showing in system monitor.

hmmm…i think caf4926 guesses you don’t have enough going on to
‘force’ all cores to not take a nap…and, i guess he may be right,
so why don’t you download and install four instances of something like
folding@home (or seti)…i don’t know how to tell each instance to use
a different cpu (i’ve never had more than one–and mine is only busy
because i run folding), but i believe that info is available somewhere…

maybe search here or on google…

folding is available for download at
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

oh, and it looks like they tell you how load the various cores at
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

primary

Things didn’t go as the instructions there said, and I never got a good install.

I used to have 4 processors showing, and it would generally show 1 working and 3 loafing, and it would switch between porcessors. I don’t know what caused it to stop, maybe back when I had my graphics suddenly go away and I ended up trying for a week to get back to running nvidia.

hmmmm…i just reread your initial posting and pick up on two
things–you run Ubuntu and it USED TO WORK:

"I’m running Ubuntu on Asus Rampage MB with Intel dual core quad
processor. My system monitor showed 4 processors, but at some point 3
of them quit showing.

and my BEST guess is something changed (software OR hardware…yep,
maybe 3 cores are BROKE)…so, i’d suggest you grab a Live CD for the
Ubuntu you initially installed and see if 4 cores show up…if they do
then you KNOW your software is screwed up (and you can either futz
with it (forever?) hoping to get it back to ok, OR you can re-install)…

OR, if one one core shows up during the Live CD trial i’m afraid you
will need to review the warranty of the board and chips (have you
overclocked and burnt the cpu??)

good luck…

on the other hand, if you can’t follow instruction well enough to get
folding@home to work, perhaps you need something less technically
challenging than Linux…just a thought.

primary

Maybe, since you are so technically above me, I should have been more specific than “followed instructions to no avai”! I did not say I was unable to follow instructions. The fact is, the instructions deviated from the options I had in Ubuntu. In short, they did not match my operating system.

Now, if you have nothing constructive to say other than smug remarks to make yourself feel better about not having any valid advice, please don’t respond.

That’s a little harsh. What the OP said was that the instructions didn’t work on his system.

Are you gonna tell me that you’ve NEVER download an opensource package whose documentation was different from the actual interface? I certainly have.

I’ve also downloaded “how-to” stuff that bore no resemblance to the package that I had actually installed. It would say, “open the gribble-gridget and tweak the nybblers,” and there would be no gribble-gridget. At all. If I’d ask in the forum for that piece of software, they’d say, “yeah, we got rid of the gribbler module 6 months ago. That how-to needs to be updated …”

Don’t assume that someone is incapable of following instructions when it may be the instructions themselves which are flawed. :wink:

> Now, if you have nothing constructive to say other than smug remarks to
> make yourself feel better about not having any valid advice, please
> don’t respond.

ok don’t try a live cd…not my problem.

secondary

>> if you can’t follow instruction well enough to get
>> folding@home to work
>
> Don’t assume that someone is incapable of following instructions when
> it may be the instructions themselves which are flawed. :wink:

well, i know plenty of folks who WERE able to get folding@home working…

can you?

secondary

@“primary” & “secondary” (i guess its the same person): no need to becoming polemic just because someone does not want to install an application.
First of all, sometimes an application that works perfectly on some systems might require some time to be fixed on another system, and OldBitByter might well not have the time to fix it.
Additionally, those that you mentioned are nothing more than examples of the many existing applications high in CPU consumption. They won’t solve the problem themselves. If one needs to spend lots of time just to install one among the many apps that can be installed, it does make perfect sense that he/she seeks another solution to test if the cores kick in.

I happened myself to give up on some applications that required too much time to fix compared to what i would have gotten from them. But that is really not a proof that me or OldBitByter are not able to run a Linux!!

> But that is really not a proof that me or OldBitByter are not able
> to run a Linux!!

you are correct…the point was, of course, to try to help OldBitByter
to LOAD DOWN his four cores in an effort to determine if he has a
hardware or software failure…

and, now many hours later i can agree that my ‘can’t follow
instructions’ didn’t help him or me…sorry.

i do not know how to solve his problem…but continue to believe that
since glxgears (as suggested by caf4926) didn’t cause all cores to
kick in, then FOUR instances of folding@ or seti might prove
beneficial in troubleshooting…

OR, a known good Live CD might (if it shows 4 cores humming) reveal
that something has gone wrong in the software setup of his installed
Ubuntu…

of course, if he doesn’t wanna take my suggestions that is his right.

secondary

OldBitByter, I would say try an Ubuntu forum as that is OS you are having the problems with. I would also look into the type of kernels Ubuntu supplies. Do there really support quad core cpus? I do not run Ubuntu and therefore cannot comment on their kernels. If you can, install oS on it and see if the problem persists. If it does come back and report. If you do check the Ubuntu forums and solve this problem, please come back and let us know how it was solved. Hope these pointers help.

It is first of all correct that uname -p returns only one entry because it is reporting the processor name not the cores’ details. To display the different cores info, use the command
***cat /proc/cpuinfo

For instance, i have 2 cores but with uname -p i am only returned the name of the processors “athlon” and not the number of cores, while with cat /proc/cpuinfo i can see both of them.

I have right now as running applications only Firefox, korn email checker and the calendar in the tray, but yet i see that both CPUs have a slight percentage of use. I have a Karamba system monitor and i see that all the time even when idle both CPU have a very slight use. So i believe that it is not necessary to use apps that use lots of CPU, at least a couple of cores should kick in even for low CPU usage, if everything is running ok.

I agree that an easy and possibly effective way to check the source of the problem (the OS or the hardware) would be checking from other OSs. With a dual boot that would be immediate but i guess here we dont have a dual boot otherwise that way would have been already tried. So i agree that the easy way would be try some different live CDs.
Plus its always useful to keep live CDs for other events such as hard drive failures so downloading the image of some live CDs or DVDs won’t be a “wasted download” :slight_smile:

> ‘Intel Core 2 Quad Shows Only One Core In Cpuinfo - openSUSE Forums’
> (http://tinyurl.com/ammfgt)

i just read part of a thread in comp.os.linux.misc (usenet) where a
guy said that a zombie process had blocked his access to one of two
cores…one running full out but unusable to any new process…and
that was somehow related to the use of samba…

so, MAYBE launch top and see if those three are actually running at
100% and if so, hope over to NNTP and have a look…two different
threads titled: “zombie process blocking one core” and “zombie process
blocking one core again”

The Real Elvis