One Word : Professional!

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new with OpenSUSE (actually : 1 week), but I wanted to write this simple post, merely to say : very good work, THIS is professional.

I have been (not had because still in my heart) running Debian for quite some years now (since Potato), yet I want now a full-integrated KDE4 distro and waste time no longer to fight and set up the machine, here it is : OpenSUSE 11.1.

Everything is done so easily, I mean graphically, and this is just peace of cake. I can set up by text, but, don’t know why, I am fed up with it. Therefore I am so much pleased to set up modernly.

Now, next stage is KDE 4.2 which promises a lot with nearly all the best applications ported.

I had it a try, I don’t regret it and a friend (new to GNU/Linux) of mine plus all of my computers are going to run OpenSUSE 11.1.

This is good, this is easy : so try it and don’t look back.

Kalax13

Welcome - glad it does what you want.

> This is good, this is easy : so try it and don’t look back.

Great! Welcome to SuSE.

Great to hear!

OpenSUSE seems to fill that gab between “Mom and Pop” (Ubuntu) and “Pro Developer” (Fedora/Red Hat) nicely.

There’s a Fate entry to make upgrading to new version 11.2 from 11.1, as simple as an apt dist-upgrade, using zypper. Hopefully that’ll work out well, as doing fresh installs to move to latest version is too labour intensive.

I used Debian Potato to, and the new Lenny Debian release is impressive, taking more pragmatic conservative choices than openSUSE to end user benefit in my view.

One thing that is good, about YaST, is that you can still do quick edits without it, so long as you understand the right places to make changes. Also I’ve found it convenient sometimes, to generate configs with YaST, and then import them into another distro, though I also quite like the excellent self-documentation of some Debian config files, and occassionally import those, applying changes on version upgrades.

Whilst it’s great 11.1 worked on your machine, you may discover issues on others, but with the core software so similar, running 2 distro’s needn’t be much of an overhead.