one click Steam installer? I saw it announced on Google+ but no joy.

I followed the URL here Adventures in openSUSE Linux: Easily install Steam for Linux in openSUSE

I didn’t find the installer as advertised? Is there actually one in reality?

As this was announced on Google+ I hope this was not an announcement made in error Google Chrome does not deliver me to any usable resource at all.

Ah! I found it in the Games repo.

Sad panda because It’s is looking for a Mesa-lib GL 1 “that nothing provides” according to YAST2 Software Managent

Guess no Steam no Linux for me.

No Mesa-libGL1 for openSUSE 12.1 is offered so I am out of luck I guess.

A search via software.opensuse.org: Search

showed that a 32-bit package is available

software.opensuse.org: Search

A package for 12.2 where is where that link you have provided is taking me. Selecting 12.1 at that link does nothing, no package to install is displayed and no one click install is displayed.
I don’t know how to resolve this I even tried opening the link in Firefox and it takes me directly to a link for the 12.2 package.
I have 12.1. A package for 12.2 does me no good. The one click installer is for 12.2.

I believed the one click was for 12.1 as well in the Google+ announcement . The my reading of the announcement is obviously wrong.
Sorry to have bothered you all.

There are packages for 12.1:
software.opensuse.org:

When I select that package nothing the link displays “show unstable packages” then there are four packages after a warning. I am not sure I want unstable packages that might break other stuff so I am giving up here.
Sorry to have bothered you all here.

This announcement should have not have been made to seem so official on Google+. It’s just some stuff people built in OBS it’s not official openSUSE packaging at all.
I can’t afford to have my desktop machine broken. So for now I don’t have a machine to put at risk of instability.
No Steam on Linux for me yet. Gabe will never see I am willing to spend money on Linux games or it’s worth the effort to port game for me until I can run it on openSUSE with nothing more that a default install with the Nvidia reop added or I can risk breaking the machine.

As far as Steam goes it’s supported by Ubuntu. I am never installing and running Ubuntu. Steam may have come to Linux but that Linux is Ubuntu flavored. Ubuntu isn’t my idea of Linux even if it’s a huge distro.

I have 12.2 installed now and it’s a much better base for installing Steam I think.
I am still in a quandary as to if I should do the one click install or just install the package from the games repo?
In a brief test install I did yesterday I used the Steam installer from the Games repo but had no audio in Half-Life and when I tried to full screen the Steam app it crashed.
What I have now is a full clean install ready to install Steam on with the Nvidia repo added and G2 Nvidia packages installed and Packman repo and smaplayer, audacious and k3b installed.

What route should I take? One click install or Steam installation from the games repo?

There is technically no difference between one-click and installing through Yast after adding the games repo. Result will be exactly the same. What you install is no more than a steam-installer, the actual code is being downloaded and installed in your homedir.

I used games repo and that worked great.
As for no sound in Half life I guess you don’t have pulse-audio installed or you have it disabled.
I tried 10 or more games and only half life and team fortress 2 had that issue for users not having pulse-audio.
Fix for that is to edit usr/bin/steam.sh and after commented lines put this : export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
So it should look like this :

#!/bin/bash
#
# This is the Steam script that typically resides in /usr/bin
# It will create the Steam bootstrap if necessary and then launch steam.
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

Or you can start steam from CLI with this :

SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa steam

If you are using pulse-audio and have no sound then I don’t know what might be the problem.

If by full screen you mean ‘Big picture’ button , then yeah, that crashes my steam too, have no idea why but I don’t need it anyway :slight_smile:

Pulse is installed and working I have MP3 playback and Audio on video files.

I added that audio line to steam.sh and still no audio in Half-Life. I can play mp3 and video files and have audio there
any other fixes I can apply?

Here is the output of me launching Half-Life from the CLI. I see no clues in there. So video works fine audio not so much

teven@linux-nn7c:~> steam steam://rungameid/70
Running Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1360966495_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1360966495_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes

(steam:6522): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",

(steam:6522): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
[0217/125143:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[0217/125143:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Generating new string page texture 2: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
Generating new string page texture 3: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
Adding license for package 0
Adding license for package 1
Adding license for package 36
Adding license for package 420
Adding license for package 6073
roaming config store loaded successfully - 1092 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
ExecCommandLine: "/home/steven/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://rungameid/70"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://rungameid/70"
CAPIJobRequestUserStats - Server response failed 2
System startup time: 7.10 seconds
Running Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/steven/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Failed to load installscript /home/steven/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/installscript.vdf
ExecCommandLine: "/home/steven/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://open/driverhelperready"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/driverhelperready"
Generating new string page texture 66: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 67: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
Game update: AppID 70 "Half-Life", ProcID 6608, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(steam:6522): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:6522): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

Using breakpad crash handler
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 70
Forcing breakpad minidump interfaces to load
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197990109136 [API loaded yes]
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Setting Steam ID:  76561197990109136
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20130215122411_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
ARB Multitexture extensions found.

4 texture units.  Detail texture supported.

(gameoverlayui:6613): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",

(gameoverlayui:6613): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
[0217/125151:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[0217/125151:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation

(hl_linux:6611): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",

(hl_linux:6611): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
[0217/125152:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(411)] Failed to load /home/steven/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/cef_gtk.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0217/125152:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[0217/125152:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Platform config directory: platform/config
0:Initializing platform...
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:270:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
SDL_InitSubSystem(SDL_INIT_AUDIO) failed.
S_Startup: SNDDMA_Init failed.

Server module initialized.

World module initialized.

STEAM Auth Server

AppActive: active
AppActive: active
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(hl_linux)/version(1.0_client)
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197990109136 [API loaded yes]
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Setting Steam ID:  76561197990109136
Game update: AppID 70 "Half-Life", ProcID 6611, IP 0.0.0.0:27015
Unknown command: VModEnable

Dropped Player from server
Reason:  Server shutting down

World module shutdown.

Server module shutdown.

Game removed: AppID 70 "Half-Life", ProcID 6611 
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully

I see no clues in there. So video works fine audio not so much :expressionless: Anything else to try?

Ah so you do have pulse audio installed, okay then remove that line from steam.sh, you don’t need it then.

Check this thread , it helped me solving that problem, there are various solutions there, see if any of them works for you.

I think solution to your problem is SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulseaudio
So, everything I said earlier but instead of alsa put pulseaudio

What worked for me was adding:

export SDL AUDIODRIVER=pulseaudio

to /usr/bin/steam

I found that on the referred thread on Steam.

Thanks for the assistance everyone