One-click on 64-bit

I wonder if anyone here can explain some of the choices for the 64-bit one-click enhancements.

On 11.0, it really made a mess of dependencies, and required a manual rebuild of the rpmdb. Further, my own experience indicates there is no longer any need to mix in 32-bit. On some other distros, I ran the 64-bit codecs and 64-bit Flash, and nothing I throw at them fails to run (except for problems which seem unrelated). If the sticking point is RealPlayer, is it possible to make a way to opt out of that? Is there any way I can adjust this at all, or perhaps someone could outline what happens in the script so I can setup a manual route for my clients?

The reason I don’t use 11.1 is changes broke the hardware support I had under 11.0. Those complaints have been posted elsewhere here and on the buglists, and no fixes appear forthcoming.

I suppose this is a related question.

Running 64-bit 11.1 a lot of stuff appears to work just fine out of the box. Then today my bank website (Java applet) gave me a weird error message after login. Can’t use it. In 11.0 I had to install a 32-bit browser with 32-bit Java-plugin in order to make it work.

I’m considering doing that again to see if that will work. Is the procedure for installing the 32-bit Firefox with Java the same in 11.1?

I use 64-bit, and have for a long time just had 32-bit FF installed along with 32-bit java 1.6-sun and the accompanying plugin. All from the standard repo’s. None of the put-it-under-home stuff; that seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Works perfectly. The Iced Tea version in 11.1 is not, IMHO, quite ready for anything as serious as online banking.

I have done exactly like you, mingus 725. Followed 64-bit Machines & the FireFox JavaPlugin.

BUT… It told me to remove existing Java and now I can’t run ordinary Java apps. Very annoying because I love Hattrick Organizer (thank you for putting that on a repo btw) and Vuze. I have those installed still but they won’t launch :’(

Which packages do I need!? I did try installing some of the other runtime environments but it makes no difference.

bennohansen wrote:

>
> I have done exactly like you, mingus 725. Followed ‘64-bit Machines &
> the FireFox JavaPlugin’ (http://tinyurl.com/5j3xpw).
>
> BUT… It told me to remove existing Java and now I can’t run ordinary
> Java apps. Very annoying because I love Hattrick Organizer (thank you
> for putting that on a repo btw) and Vuze. I have those installed still
> but they won’t launch :’(
>
> Which packages do I need!? I did try installing some of the other
> runtime environments but it makes no difference.

Running Vuze from a terminal will show you the error stream as it tries to
start. Using 64 bit, it will tell you that swt.jar is the wrong
architecture for your machine. The solution is to get the 64-bit jar -
which can take some serious searching if you don’t start at the right
place. You can find the file at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.4-200806172000/swt-3.4-gtk-linux-x86_64.zip

Open the zip file and copy swt.jar from there to the Vuze directory and go
for it.

Anytime a program won’t launch, try the terminal (command line) launch. That
will usually pinpoint the error whereas a desktop launcher eats the info or
puts it into some obscure log file.

Will Honea

Thank you for replying, Will. I will remember your tip, it sounds obvious and usefull.

Running the Java apps from the terminal launched them! :open_mouth:

I guess I must have messed up something else? For now I blame KDE4 entirely :wink: I don’t know how to fix icons, for example.

Still, here is a bit of the output from the terminal launches:

java virtual machine used: /usr/bin/java           
classpath used: /usr/share/java/hsqldb.jar:/usr/share/java/jl.jar:/usr/share/java/hattrick-organizer/jcalendar-1.3.2.jar:/usr/share/java/hattrick-organizer/hattrick-organizer-1.424.jar:/home/benno/.hattrick-organizer
using MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.0.5 and MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/browser-plugins                                                                         
GRE/XULRunner automatically found                                                     
classpath used: /usr/share/java/Azureus/swt-3.5-I20080702-0939.jar:/usr/share/java/Azureus/Azureus4.jar:/usr/share/java/Azureus/swt.jar

ARGH!!! Now my internet bank doesn’t work - Vuze must have eaten the browser plugin when I reinstalled it (which I did) or something. Suppose Vuze is incompatible with 32-bit browser+java!? Sucks. Guess I’ll have to stop using Vuze.

I’m afraid I’m not going to be of much help. I am using the very last method described in the link you posted. I did have a problem with Vuze, but did not pursue it because I really didn’t like the Vuze change and so had no motivation to get it working. I have run into a problem once in a while with a java application, but running from the terminal as Will suggested (which would have been my suggestion, too) is helpful - sometimes the errors thrown were not being able to find the jre, sometimes others errors like your .jar error. Running (but understanding first) update-alternatives may resolve some problems; it did for me. Sometimes it just looks like the java coding isn’t very good. Sorry I can’t offer any more than that.

Is it just me or could the 32-bit Java with 64-bit Wiki use a rewrite? The bottom two solutions are basically the same, right?

I did it over again and now my internet banking (somewhat problematic Java applet) is working ok.

I’d phrase the procedure something like…

1. Remove 64-bit Firefox and Java
  2. Install 32-bit Firefox and (<=1.6) Java including browser plugin
    (probably smart thing to lock them in YaST?) 1. Install another
    version of Java RE in 64-bit version 1. Force Java applications to use the correct 64-bit RE

The last part is a bit tricky. This is for Java geeks, seriously. Why would a user know something like that!? It tells me 64-bit OS configuration is for geeks only. But I don’t think I’m clueless anymore…

• OpenOffice.org (and others?) has a built in JRE chooser: Tools -> Settings -> Java -> simply select
  • Will Honea wrote:

The solution is to get the 64-bit jar. Open the zip file and copy swt.jar from there to the Vuze directory and go for it.

• Use 32-bit apps?

Will try it out.

OK… I tried installing Java 1.5 64-bit alongside my locked Java 1.6 32-bit w/plugin. I also tried Will’s trick. All I got was this:

benno@1503026656:~> hattrick-organizer.sh 
which: no java in (/home/benno/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin)                    
Can't find java! 

I also tried copying Will’s file to a couple of the directories mentioned with the same result.

I then tried installing the IcedTea 64-bit and got an entirely different error message:

benno@1503026656:~> hattrick-organizer.sh
copying /home/benno/.hattrick-organizer/hoplugins
copying /home/benno/.hattrick-organizer/sprache
copying /home/benno/.hattrick-organizer/prediction
Starting HO from /home/benno/.hattrick-organizer...
/usr/bin/hattrick-organizer.sh: error: JVM_LIBDIR /usr/lib64/jvm-exports/java does not exist or is not a directory
classpath used: /usr/bin/build-classpath: error: JVM_LIBDIR /usr/lib64/jvm-exports/java does not exist or is not a directory:/home/benno/.hattrick-organizer
main class used: de.hattrickorganizer.HO
flags used:
options used: -Xmx512m
arguments used:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: error:
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: error:
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:220)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:208)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:336)
Error: Could not find the main class.
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again

Doesn’t help much.

mingus, I don’t depend on Vuze. But I really like Hattrick Organizer and Thinking Rock. Plus it can’t be something one should settle for: not being able to run Java apps at all.

I’ll try again some other time. I’d like to read something about it but what? I bought the “OpenSUSE 11.0 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Bible” and it says nothing at all about Java. I can’t see anything in the Wikis here either. Fustrating.

If I post again I’ll probably do it in a new thread since this one has an unrelated title and the right people could not be looking here. Sorry for highjacking your thread, br073n.