Once again ... Intel WiFi Link 5100 ...

Hi,

I googled, I read all the forum threads, I installed the firmware and I even compiled the packages on Intel wireless site … no go. The ones available simply do not install the iwl5000 driver.
Intel WiFi Link 5100 does not work with OpenSuSE 11.0 stable kernel …

I tried to install the vanilla Kernel … but that is not also a solution. It does not work and I have no time to fix the problems.
Is there someone that can make a backport in order for this wifi cards to work on OpenSuSE 11.0 ?

And for me the option to go for a beta version is not possible.

Regards,
Pedro

You are 3 weeks away from openSUSE-11.1 gold mastered version.

I have the Intel WiFi Link 5300 running on openSUSE-11.1 beta-5.1 with the 2.6.27.7 kernel (and before that beta5 with the 2.6.27.5 kernel) and it “just works”. I’ve read the 5100 runs equally well under 11.1.

My suspicion is you will waste a lot of time (where this is likely time that is better spent elsewhere) fruitlessly trying to get the Intel WiFi Link 5100 to run with some custom kernel under 11.0, when you are far better off to accept the consequences of waiting, and simply wait for 11.1.

Hi,

I fully understand your point about the approach launch date of 11.1 GM. But my Asus M50VM-AS008c ( :slight_smile: → be jealous :slight_smile:
webservinfor.com was bought tree month ago and now I really need the wifi … )
And actually the Vanilla kernel does indeed recognize the wifi card. But it does not boot and that would take me a long time to fix … it would be more reasonable to buy an external wifi card Linux compatible …
So this is a bit frustrating.
Also the problem remains as many people will not up-grade to 11.1 … I was actually not pretending to upgrade on this laptop as my christmas laptop will be this (Now you guys will be jealous :slight_smile: … check this out …

webservinfor.com

Jaw dropping machine … also with the Intel wifi Link 5300 …

Regards,
Pedro

Hi,

Finally I went to a store and decided to buy a usb wifi adapter … a Belkin that was mentioned in the HCL list as compatible.
The problem is that the Belkin F5d7050 was a different version number (version 5 instead of version 4, the latter with zd1211) and so the chipset was different them the one anounced in the HCL.
It contained a Realtek RTL8187B, not the rtl8187.

I lost some hours trying to make it work and them gave up (Shame!)

Went to the same store the next day and asked to exchange the usb adapter for another Belkin … as they did not have it I came back with a Netgear WG111 and … Suprise Suprise!!! it was not the usual rtl8187 but the infamous rtl8187B !!!

So I just went to this great forums and … checked this thread:
WLAN Stick RTL8187b with Suse 11 64Bit - Page 3 - openSUSE Forums

Basically one just has to recompile the latest compat-wireless-old found in:

http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-old.tar.bz2

Just unpack the code, them go to the dir and:

make

make install

and if one is unsure about what drivers to load:

make load

I know good friends, this last one is a bit overkill …

and voila!

It works.
My Intel Wifi Link still does not move!
I would like to know if a port to the current and future openSuSE 11.0 kernels will be available.

But at least the external realtek rtl8187B is working perfectly.

I configured mine without NetworkManager, just typing the connection wep keys on yast->network and them starting in the command line the wlan0 interface.

Simple effective.

Regards,
Pedro

> It works.
> My Intel Wifi Link still does not move!
> I would like to know if a port to the current and future openSuSE 11.0
> kernels will be available.
>
> But at least the external realtek rtl8187B is working perfectly.

The RTL8187B driver is in openSUSE 11.1, which uses a 2.6.27 kernel.

Based on what I see in the linux-wireless mailing list, the Intel devices might
work by 11.2 or 11.3. Having the vendor support a Linux driver is not
necessarily a benefit, particularly one that is completely governed by its
bureaucracy the way that Intel is. For example, when someone has a fix for a
community-written driver, such as the RTL8187B, a patch is submitted through the
mailing list with a request for comment and/or testing. Within a relatively
short time, the patch has been rejected or approved. Intel’s patches are
reviewed within the company, subjected to their internal testing, and then
finally released. Invariably, the outside community finds problems that were not
located internally and the cycle starts again. What takes days in a community
driver takes weeks for Intel. To make matters worse, their lead engineer is very
combative and argues ad nauseum over suggested stylistic changes.

Larry

Hi Larry,

You have a great support in this forums.
I do not know why but my install of openSuSE 11.0 did, for some reason (maybe my fiddling with Intel Link drivers … ), not work.
So I resorted to install the latest driver.
Also from the wireless download site:
Index of /download/compat-wireless-2.6/

There is a new version there posted today, 3/Dec. I just up-dated with this new version, and the realtek works like a charm.

About Intel mis-understanding of the proper development process … that is indeed sad … that type of bureaucratic backward control is the opposite of what we do!

Meanwhile if there is a way to make those folks at Intel work in the proper way as Open-Source development requires that would be wonderful. Let’s not forget that, no matter what is our personal opinion about Intel, they as a company have helped a lot Linux development in more ways then we can imagine.

And also Larry I must make clear that I did by no means want to imply that the problem for this driver (Intel Link 5000) was caused by the open-source community. Far from it! Hence everyone understands your post is useful to clarify this particular subject …

Regards,
Pedro

:slight_smile:

Despair note :slight_smile:
Is there any way some folks at Intel can speed the process! Those wifi cards are very very usefull … and also I need the N coverage …

The Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN works now in openSUSE-11.1 beta5 and openSUSE-11.1 RC1. I believe it will also work in openSUSE-11.1 GM.

I have read of Ubuntu users who have both the Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN and the 5300 AGN working on 8.10 of Ubuntu which has the 2.6.27 kernel. Hence I believe the 5100 AGN will also work under 2.6.27 in openSUSE-11.1, just like the 5300 AGN, which I have working.

Hi,

I can confirm that.
I booted with the 2.6.27 vanilla kernel and it detects the thing.

My problem is the 2.6.25 kernel … openSuSE 11.0.

I really need this distro …my next laptop will have the new 11.1 but not the current one … I will manage for awhile with the usb Netgear, in hope there is a working version for the internal 5100AGN sometime soon …

Regards,
Pedro

Why can’t you install 11.1 on the current laptop when 11.1 is released?

Having typed that, a point of clarification. My post was specifically directed in reply to lwfinger’s post that “the Intel devices might work by 11.2 or 11.3” … assuming he was refering to the same Intel devices as I was thinking of (ie the 5100 AGN / 5300 AGN). One need not wait for 11.2 nor 11.3. They work in 11.1.

Hi,

Well … I had a deep thought about it and … here goes: :slight_smile:

1- Laziness.

2- Cowardness and displaced worry about something not working and forcing me to spend some days over it …

3- Very messy development config on an important framework … some steps I do not even recall exactly … I really do not want to mess it …

4- I like to have my working laptop (the company one) with some very stable very patched Software. I know, this is really a lame excuse. But that is the reality.

5- I have some very important data on my file-system encrypted drive, and placing that on a backup takes a long time … and is a risk exposure for that data … can not afford that risk.

6- And Most Important of all: (This is the best one Oldcpu)
—> openSuSE 11.1 and not having the current laptop wifi card working → Is My Best excuse to buy a new Laptop :slight_smile: … (the big mean machine). Do you think for a minute that I will let Any wifi card patch get in the way that ??? :slight_smile:

Well, nothing like a public display of Laptop Consciousness

:slight_smile:

Having typed that, a point of clarification. My post was specifically directed in reply to lwfinger’s post that “the Intel devices might work by 11.2 or 11.3” … assuming he was refering to the same Intel devices as I was thinking of (ie the 5100 AGN / 5300 AGN). One need not wait for 11.2 nor 11.3. They work in 11.1.

I think we all understand that … and I think Larry might mean … Full functionality on 11.2 … (more integration with config tools and so on …)

Regards,
Pedro

keyb user wrote:

You wrote that you booted the 2.6.27 vanilla kernel and it worked. Why don’t you
stay with it? On my openSUSE 11.0 system, I’m running 2.6.28-rc6 from wireless
testing. That is where the latest wireless code is found. I only keep a 2.6.25
kernel around for emergencies.

If you want to keep 2.6.25 but get the latest code, download the wireless-compat
sources. To build it will require the kernel headers, gcc, and make packages.
With it you will get wireless code that will not be available until kernel 2.6.29.

Larry

Hi,

I first installed the vanilla kernel and the first attempt did not even boot. I figured out the problems and after boot it did recognize the board, but, there was still some unstable behaviour.
That is why I abandoned the idea …

On my openSUSE 11.0 system, I’m running 2.6.28-rc6 from wireless
testing. That is where the latest wireless code is found. I only keep a 2.6.25
kernel around for emergencies.

My issue is stability, some of it is really my entire fault …not the new kernel versions.

If you want to keep 2.6.25 but get the latest code, download the wireless-compat
sources. To build it will require the kernel headers, gcc, and make packages.
With it you will get wireless code that will not be available until kernel 2.6.29.

Larry

This is what I tried to do but the makefile from wireless.kernel.org compat-wireless modules does not allow me to compile for my kernel version …

Regards,
Pedro

keyb user wrote:
> I first installed the vanilla kernel and the first attempt did not even
> boot. I figured out the problems and after boot it did recognize the
> board, but, there was still some unstable behaviour.
> That is why I abandoned the idea …

What was unstable? As noted earlier, I run bleeding edge kernels, and I don’t
have stability problems. On occasion, a really new rc version will not boot, but
that is why I’m running those versions - to catch that kind of bug before the
code is released. Once they run, I have not found stability to be an issue. The
code in 2.6.27.7 is stable.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Well, not that I did not know I was going for troubles …

The problem is that I just dowloaded 2.6.27.7 from kernel.org, compiled it, installed lattest nvidia drivers it booted perfectly and … no wifi 5100 support!
Looking at the source code dir it does contain a file under iwifi containing iwl5000.c but the is not compiled.
No obj code comes out … nothing.
Acts just like opensuse 11.0 current kernel!

I also used to run bleeding edge kernels … now I need stability.
Like you said, the problem is not the kernel, a distribution is much more than a kernel. The problems arrive from many parts of the system, like database connections, programming frameworks etc …
I am not saying it is the kernel problem … it is the overall system.
Also the idea of having a distribution is to have support and stability.

Also, I installed rc kernel 2.6.27-rc3 and the source rpm does not install, it says that it is incompatible with default kernel … (during installation)
So in this case i can not install nvidia drivers. No decent X …
See the problems …

Regards,
Pedro

keyb user wrote:

> The problem is that I just dowloaded 2.6.27.7 from kernel.org, compiled
> it, installed lattest nvidia drivers it booted perfectly and … no wifi
> 5100 support!
> Looking at the source code dir it does contain a file under iwifi
> containing iwl5000.c but the is not compiled.
> No obj code comes out … nothing.
> Acts just like opensuse 11.0 current kernel!

That is a kernel configuration problem. Building that driver was not turned on.

Hi Larry,

yes … I know … , but the strange is that I made sure in make menuconfig that device drivers-> network interface support → wireless lan → intel wireless wifi next gen AGN had properly selected the relevant modules …

Maybe it is just old age taking over me … I will not give up righ away!
I will give it a try today … latter.

Regards,
Pedro

keyb user wrote:
> yes … I know … , but the strange is that I made sure in make
> menuconfig that device drivers-> network interface support → wireless
> lan → intel wireless wifi next gen AGN had properly selected the
> relevant modules …
>
> Maybe it is just old age taking over me … I will not give up righ
> away!

The check is for “CONFIG_IWL5000=y” in .config.

Larry

Hi,

no need … no object code was on the obj dir …

I got it … ops … Mis-loaded kernel config …
After so many kernel compiles and still some dumb error …
Now my 2.6.27.7 kernel is working ok, I just had to re-install nvidia and more recent alsa drivers. …
And … of course wifi card is working perfectly even with networkmanager.

Regards,
Pedro