Old Printer issue: How can I "split" print jobs to get a pause between pages/sheets?

Hi all,

I’ve an old but except one issue perfectly printing old HP LaserJet 2200d, d for duplex printing. Pretty much money more than 10 years ago, but 1200 dpi resolution, and nowadays very cheap toner. So for sure no need to replace it.

Only issue is, that for fast processed print jobs (e.g. text only pages, not many graphics on page) printed in duplex mode, the next sheet is pulled from feeder BEFORE the old page is pushed out (completely). Happens only in duplex mode, and not always. Full speed printing in non-duplex mode works fine. Talked to a very helpful HP service partner: Known issue, an elastic coating of some sort of lever which “unlocks” the feeder always gets worn out after years long printer usage. He sent me the link for downloading the original printer service manual. Itself easy to fix, but it takes ~2,5 hours to disassemble the printer, coat the lever correctly (which I didn’t last time :-(), and assemble everything again in the right order.

So my question is:

• Is it possible to configure CUPS or whatever underlying print daemon/engine to get a “pause” e.g. after every second page, or after one sheet, before processing the next page/sheet? 2 to 5 seconds would be more than enough, if you’re “familiar” with this issue like me you can even hear this lever clicking when triggered, and from it’s sound you know that it was triggered this small moment too early and that you have to get up and fix the paper jam :-S

Any idea/hints would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

This would really need to be done at the printer driver (filter) level, so not a trivial exercise IMO. I guess you could just print two pages at a time if that’s not too arduous? I guess it would also be possible to print to file in a particular directory, and have a script print that file 2 pages at a time with the required delay… or perhaps just buy a new printer :slight_smile:

A script would be a nice idea, embarrassing that I haven’t had this idea myself, as a Linux user :shame::shame::shame:

Questions for the script:

From my very old UNIX days I remembered the “lpr” and “lp” commands for this job. Not sure, what the difference between lp and lpr is, man files just shows different options, only lp seems to be able to print page ranges.
But I believe to remember that lpr/lp have been only able to print (plain) text files.

In one of the last OpenSuse release ReadMe I’ve found that CUPS now has PDF as print format. Just tested, I can print PDF files, in the way I like, with specific page ranges, as I need.

The rest of a script, loop and delay, is a no-brainer. Only to find out how many pages are contained in a document might be hard. But I guess I’ll pass this as parameter, KISS.

Do you know how to print anything else than PDF or plain text from command line?

But as all relevant software has a “print/export to PDF” function, in general all is fine for my workaround.

Thank you very much, “deano_ferrari” !!!

The rest of a script, loop and delay, is a no-brainer. Only to find out how many pages are contained in a document might be hard. But I guess I’ll pass this as parameter, KISS.

You could use pdfinfo for this eg

pdfinfo foo.pdf | grep Pages | awk '{print $2}'

Do you know how to print anything else than PDF or plain text from command line?

It can handle .ps (post script), text, and some common bitmap image formats (eg jpeg, png, bmp) directly as well. (I generally only use it for .ps and .pdf files though.)

But as all relevant software has a “print/export to PDF” function, in general all is fine for my workaround.

Thank you very much, “deano_ferrari” !!!

‘Print to file’ does the job of generating the pdf file.