Old Laptop and update 12.1. Possible?

I have a HP laptop I was gifted. It needed a hard drive and an OS. I got a IDE laptop hard dive cheap from Compuer Geeks
I installed openSUSE 11.4 KDE from a 32 bit Live CD on to it and it’s working great including wireless and everything.
It’s only got 256 megs of memory and the 1 gig ddr2 I bought that was supposed to work for it didn’t work so I gave up on upgrading that for now.
It’s got Radeon 9200 graphics and a 1.4 Ghz Centrino processor.
Is it just too memory poor to update to 12.1?
I am clueless about laptops.

On 2012-03-25 10:26, FlameBait wrote:
> Is it just too memory poor to update to 12.1?

It should work, but slowly. Don’t use kde/gnome, though.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

256MB is less than minimum RAM recommended. But LXDE will install in that amount of RAM. You will be into ‘swap’ a lot when running with only 256MB RAM.

Note thatt 11.4 is still under support so there is no hurry to move to 12.1 at this time, especially if it is running happily now.

Radeon 9200 graphic is legacy, not supported by AMD any more, and you could have issues with it. I know some users have (problems) with all openSUSE variants with that hardware.

If you decide to try to move to 12.1, I recommend you give up in trying to get a desktop with a zillion features (such as kde) and move to a light weight more basic desktop such as LXDE. But you may (or may not) have an issue with the Radeon-9200, and the only way to find out is to try.

Note there is no liveCD for LXDE for openSUSE-12.1 yet. Does this laptop have a DVD reader ?

I’d work on getting that memory sorted

On 2012-03-25 16:46, caf4926 wrote:
>
> I’d work on getting that memory sorted

Yes, Linux is memory hungry. It benefits a lot of having more. Even more so
than having a fast cpu.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Before everything else. Mind, I have an old laptop “under surveillance” that needed 2 512MB bars, wouldn’t work on a single 1 GB RAM bar.

Yea it only has one DIMM slot. I does have DVD. It will play DVDs under Kaffeine But smplayer and audacious have issues. It would mostly be for running Google Chrome and Xchat when in use.
I’ll try and find some memory that works. I’d be fine with a gigabyte I think.

You may find, that the BIOS doesn’t accept more than 512 MB …

I’ll have to get on HP’s site and research it.