Ok. Nothing that says how to upgrade on the OpenSuse download page?

On 2013-12-07 00:26, d hinds wrote:
>
> Thanks Wolfi, I’ll go ahead and give it a try. The instructions are
> clear enough.
>
> As you said, after updating 12.3 it was still 12.3, as
>
> CAT /ETC/SUSE-RELEASE
>
> SHOWED:
>
> **OPENSUSE 12.3 (X86_64)VERSION = 12.3

Then, you did not do a system upgrade correctly.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Following the instructions provided by:

How To Upgrade From openSUSE 12.3 To openSUSE 13.1 | Unixmen

I arrived at the following, inside Tmux:

“This agreement permits you to distribute
unmodified or modified copies of openSUSE 13.1 using the
“openSUSE” trademark on the condition that you follow The openSUSE
–More–(32%)
[0] 0:sudo*”

At that point the upgrade seems to have stopped. I managed to change all the repositories to 13.1 and everything seemed to be moving ahead correctly.

I’m going to leave it alone for an hour and if the installation didn’t occur I’ll try again using the net install.

No, it was just a v. 12.3 update.**

That’s the license agreement. Since it is shown with “less” you have to press the key ‘q’ to continue.
Otherwise it will pause there forever… :wink:

The automatic distribution upgrade is called Tumbleweed, which I haven’t installed.

And openSUSE isn’t a rolling distro like debian or arch. Evidently it is semi-rolling, however.

I know what Tumbleweed is. But we’re talking about standard openSUSE here, aren’t we?

And openSUSE isn’t a rolling distro like debian or arch. Evidently it is semi-rolling, however.

No, it’s not even semi-rolling.
You won’t get newer software releases, only security- and bug-fixes (with the standard repos, that is).

And since when is Debian a rolling distro? :wink:

The hangup was related to the licensing agreement and having accepting the terms the installation is underway.

I knew you knew.

Debian claims it is rolling, although I haven’t used Debian except through LMDE, Solus (RIP), Zeven/Neptune, Sparky and Point.

Debian Stable may not be very rolling, I suppose.

But the fact that oSUSE users can upgrade without having to re-install all the software and email accounts etc. is a big advantage.

And the upgraded installation is in progress at the moment, so you people are OK as far as I’m concerned.:wink:

Debian testing is Rolling

Anyway yeah I do think this sort of thing is holding openSUSE back, having a non command line upgrader that doesnt need you to dpownload a new image all the time is something that does bug me.
But then there is tumbleweed which can fill in that spot

What I just did was all command line, although I could have used the net install or the DVD, instead (and may still have to, if a problem occurs).

cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 13.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 13.1
CODENAME = Bottle

/etc/SuSE-release is deprecated and will be removed in the future, use /etc/os-release instead

Looks like I’ve done an upgrade using zypper dup

Guess I’ll reboot and see what happens.

Yep

cat /etc/os-release
NAME=openSUSE
VERSION=“13.1 (Bottle)”
VERSION_ID=“13.1”
PRETTY_NAME=“openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)”
ID=opensuse
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:opensuse:opensuse:13.1”
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.opensuse.org
HOME_URL=“https://opensuse.org/
ID_LIKE=“suse”

after rebooting. I still have to disconnect the usb keyboard and mouse to keep the screen from hiccuping, though - and the menu says opensuse 12.3 but I guess I can live with that.

You can actually fix it. The Easiest is in yast-boot Change the text

Sorry took me a minute to read along through all this…
at present I’m abandoning any attempts to upgrade. At least till I can grow a brain that can understand half of whats been said. I kinda figured id get an asz chewing for mentioning a point, I’m glad that someone caught the difficulty in this ‘upgrade’

You know…i was really excited that OpenSuse had an upgade! it was like Christmas you know. the biggest box under the tree…kind of excitement.

We simple minded fold tend to get over excited…call it innocence or stupidity…

how do you install an upgrade? …lol? im still dumbfounded!!!
oh I can make a vid…do them all the time for other stuff…but it just be sad…really sad to show the world how I do the OpenSuse upgrade thing.

there should be a huge like icon with lights that shows up inside the 12.3 that says ITS HERE!!..wipe that drool off your face and Click This NOW call your frinds and tell them ITs TIME!! Do it Now! you know you want to…bet you can’t…oh no you didn’t…now you done did it.

~slap~ and again …its not happening like this…you know.

im ok.I need to come back better minded to approach this…I want to upgade…I just dont yet have the Witt or the savvy to take on this challenge…not yet.:expressionless:

just tired…long day…be back with my report on how far i got…
maybe i should do a video on that. lol

thanks guys for at least pointing me the direction.

I just searched “opensuse system upgrade” and that came up for me on my search engine

Again, just download the NET-install iso or full DVD iso, burn it to a CD/DVD/USB and boot from it.
Then select “Upgrade an existing installation”.

That’s the easiest way to do it I guess, even for new users and those that despise the command line… :wink:

Harm already done :frowning:

Many others also do not restrict themselves to staying on topic and started answering your question. In any case, your question will not get the same level of attention when you hide it inside another thread as it would get starting a new thread with a good telling title.

And what is the worst of it, other people seraching the forums for the same question will probably not find it when it is not represented by a good title.

As I said: Harm already done.

You did say that, but I have to disagree and I am going to direct this to alienbee, in order to demonstrate why:

Alienbee, I just upgraded my v. 12.3 to 13.1 following the instructions contained on

(which was posted on this thread - the first response to your post).

After reading it I thought it was too complicated at first but after rereading it I began to realize it wasn’t that complicated. So I followed the instructions with one difference:

sed -i ‘s/12.3/13.1/g’ /etc/zypp/repos.d/*

I couldn’t find the \ key on my LA Spanish keyboard and couldn’t copy the \ symbol to the gnome terminal so I typed 12.3 and 13.1 without the \ key and the installation proceeded. Also, I had to precede some commands with sudo, and was held up a bit when the licensing thing stopped the installation (but that too was explained here). Also, I installed tmux via yast instead of the terminal but none of this requires understanding very much.

The point is alienbee, you can do this zypper dup installation while connected to this forum and people will walk you through it. That is one of the big advantages of openSUSE - the forums are active and the OS is usually stable and configurable. (I could mention a few distros whose forums don’t respond and others that are active but the OS won’t boot on any of my computers).

I just had to reboot because the system froze and then I noticed my keyboard was no longer configured correctly but I hope to have v. 13.1 installed correctly by Monday and learn something in the process.

So you see hcvv, alienbee’s situation and mine are similar enough to warrant splicing my comment and my having accomplished the zypper dup upgrade is going to help alienbee stick with it - I hope. It wasn’t that hard.

Most of what is presented is examples. you don’t have to type all that. Give it a try and let us know what happens. You can do this, alienbee.

One more thing:

In spite of the glitches, v. 13.1 is very fast and if I can keep it from freezing I am going to keep using it.

I find gnome very intuitive although I may try to install MATE at some point.

Now THAT is definitely a different thread and I will open it separately on the applications forum.

If I read it correctly, the OP’s question was why it is not easy to find a pointer to upgrading instead of installing. The openSUSE download page was pointed to as a place where that should be.

This is discussed here in this thread, but it already drifted off topic to giving advice how to do an upgrade. Which was NOT what he OP asked for.

Now when you think that asking a technical question in this thread only partly (my assessment)) or strongly (your assessment) related to the topic will expose the question to the best audience is up to you. I doubt.