Ockular not opening PDFs

I am receiving some PDFs from a property agent that I cannot open with Okular. I just get a blank page. these PDFs do open in Adobe Reader on a windows machine though.

Any clues why this may be happening as it’s quite annoying? Should I be using a something else instead of Okular?

EDIT: Should have stated that I’m using version 0.9.1

I have had no issues with Okular, do you want to upload a file or send one to me by email to try?

You could try kpdf

I’ll send by e-mail. Send me your e-mail by PM. The file is ~700Kb.

> Should I be using a something else instead of Ockular?

in addition to already mentioned kpdf, there is the ‘real’ viewer made
and distributed by the originator of the Portable Document Format
(PDF), Adobe <http://www.adobe.com/>… their Adobe Reader is available
for Linux and runs quite well, even if typically bloated and not as
snappy as most native Linux software…

however, my experience is it can be used to view PDFs that kpdf,
epdfview, xpdf and KGhostView and probably others don’t work so well
with…

probably because as Adobe continues to evolve their format (adding
features) the open source readers lag behind and are not always able
to show/interact with the lastest pdf files ‘out there’…

Adobe Reader is easily installed into openSUSE via the world famous
YaST (or zypper)…just look for Adobe Reader (or just adobe)…

platinum

Thanks for the reply. I’ll wait and see if caf can open the file I sent him and will take it from there. I see from the okular site that it’s basically based on kpdf so i’m not sure if kpdf will work either but I’ll give it a try out of interest.

I installed acroread for Linux, just for you! It works.
It’s in the non-oss repo

The file you sent me had no .pdf extention and adobe reader didn’t list it as a file, so I added .pdf
It didn’t matter with okular, but it shows blank pages anyway.

Thanks. I was holding out on installing yet another reader. I’ll install the adobe reader and perhaps raise a bug on okluar.

If you find a pdf that doesn’t work, you should definitely open a bug report on bugs.kde.org and attach it, so the developers can take a look and fix the issue.

I have a company i do business with that’s been sending me these files that have the extension “.xls”. Open Office tries to open them as Excell spreadsheet files, but when I do that, all I see is a bunch of garbage like this:

(Á8áóè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(¼φR[eKÐvgæ,{Öh@-2d∞AÍbI=-Z
B-3"Sþ#æ½4üUsôôüKMQEÇ(óè(¿.Í_/fQ’vÍâ∞$[Múe£ΣƒýQEÇ(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(óè(ó5φbΓ πt
¿N7z"·²i7cZ4ÍZ|æå7Φ«e|9⌐ýu÷£g+·zS]N-NM#TæeØzJ1ÅÚΘE8SÜþn·Øà¼δZ%åø$Φâ
èóä.lÍp2aⁿÞ+è8Y8⌐JJ7∩δΘ(¼ØZMQ9Ðëb=ÅW±,vzτ÷t0Cá≡t;óøÓú¬ΣoQEgΘ:ÁÝi
:²ÜSε}⌐Ö(JQrKEíEaΓφ"µKyÚtÆ68=|Uóφ±ð·é?Í.eΩýÐ_æ²óÜ«¼üüB2lVl₧#"ý≡ç₧hm-aNs1lóúåx«#C"çú)ÚΣiÚf-Q@éè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áè(áM4}Ú:ö»
.±àO
ΩδæÉh-dƒ-Ø·fF²L3Á#ЃΣu7BΣ₧xcµôφå;φ1y[wn1èτ+Þ~÷ⁿHaêyQ.∩öƒ\SðiøðτK·C|(iÐΘyöσâÄÇæ]]r^þtwSn½1û"«ÉáÆ@⌐4í«ao~Þ+zY¿±∞[VΣ=Fy²ÞÖuφuêûöBxπVtu__¡φôS₧ƒπSxt <C»OMB:ØrtSÝð#~åçå3⌐ΘýG¬^SΣΩ2πs·q»÷ëΣc¿)qΦ$¬o &Y7ε2K#gÜ&sðcJÁß≡þ»OôD~çMFΓΓ5fÆΘYA8&ƒg(ûðW%ßSIyσ₧ΘτsöÝâ[6₧ewΘtÜଣýØÚδDv-S÷~toÖOZÆ}KWâD-Pç/a[1hzdPy)c0rÇô°F£vxSG#-τ⌐Θ]=5«ÓXÖÜà8;+'Ω9xg$
Þ:gó7IΓΦ~yÁYë6ÜcÆçÉ0).KÞ$9st≡)"ÆD±ÄbäΘþMKú«ôsØ
ΓσÝαØø&Bpbýu"lµóµßÁ52F]C.)«kφ₧1&ε*=5¡JδIbHç2{OKΦ/{)φ8z⌐ΓMgQ;imþØuτ5#ë]yVèΣÍMCN ýUßδqßiΣπbmσN;ýΓßaOþYÁ»τuu%±Ö{
¡è&±}R]/D7íσ~S£d-87,úΣ}zó<»H±Éçvr¬d@qi]ΩØ Jti¡ƒ₧ⁿ∞F5{j7÷ýðKS°éKêΓƒBÐpþτèë4eè8*"T6Gjk⌐^K¿Óp2U}zûè|-τ∩/ú¬°ÄIèh'æΣMαíJ¬₧5"i!\Sݱc hs<τtrró0VÞô5çÍ)wNⁿý{ýnßY¡ΣYcnðÚ"Í«WEêΘ(#oYcπOε²k¬¬NΦτRTÚhÓô^ð*÷û{¿boGÉ)²jçê94-₧}óV⌐¬Üwä∞c¿G÷⌐ΘRO>éåt⌐Z«ΦÆerÍáÜ9@ΩQâÍ«?Vççε xd ,GÆ}q:²ØÚÁæ.δÐÅû#½IÐÝÚµEß½ÞWRô_ þ⌐xVΓsrc2±ôåφ½)a!7Nórφg»úΩuV~»|Ü-σ ld{Vèτåh∞∞d@αÉ})c:XYTç=W«YEs>'MF;

Gimp can open these files, sort of, as an image file with layer upon layer stacked on top of one another, a different layer for each page of the document.

I called this company that was sending me these files and asked them what the heck they were. The guy said they were just PDF files, but none of my Linux PDF readers could open them. So I went to YAST and updated all my PDF reader programs. Still couldn’t open them.

So I held my nose and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader, and they open now. But I’m looking to dump that program as soon as there’s an open source alternative, because it’s very sluggish on my system.

I guess Adobe is trying to sell everyone on this new format, but I don’t see any real improvement over regular PDF files, in fact this new format seems even more bloated than regular PDF files, which I never liked very much in the first place.

So that’s what I found out after several hours of struggling with this new format. YMMV.

> So I held my nose and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader, and they open
> now. But I’m looking to dump that program as soon as there’s an open
> source alternative, because it’s very sluggish on my system.

i understand sluggish…but, i’ve found that i can deal with a little
slug if it allows me to see what i wanna see…

like yesterday, i downloaded a huge pdf and when i tried to look at it
in my default opener (KPDF) it would show up, but it flashed on and
off and was REALLY sluggish when trying to scroll…jerky…but, when
i opened Adobe’s Reader 9 it was smooth and FAST…

so, ymmv…

platinum