Obnoctious Wireless Card

Hi all,

I am having issues with an AR9285 PCI wireless adapter. It has worked since about 13.1 without ndiswrapper drivers, and worked for years without them, but suddenly my connections have been tenuous and short under openSUSE 13.1, 13.2, and LinuxMint 17. I don’t know what I angered in the sky to bring this to me, but no amount of reboots makes it behave again. I installed the ndiswrapper driver that historically made it work, but it the kernel module hasn’t loaded according to lsmod.

What can I do without capitulating to Microsoft?

Many thanks

Can you provide more hardware information about your wireless device? The following commands will report the chipset and driver associated with the device

/sbin/lspci -nnk

or

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard

Are you using Network Manager? If so, take a look at /var/log/NetworkManager for messages associated with the disconnections. You could monitor with an open terminal like this

sudo tail -f /var/log/NetworkManager

Use CTRL-C to stop. Then copy/paste the relevant output to share here if necessary.

I tried running the last command and it turned out I wasn’t using Network Manager.

Sorry for the late response. I have been busy throughout the last week and had little time to fight this.

For now, I have started to use an alternate connection method to connect to my Resident Hall’s internet, and a wired connection has turned out to be much faster.

Thanks for your help and suggestions anyways. You help bring the fun of the Geeko to the masses.