NVMe and opensuse 15.0 support VS 15.4

Hi all,

I am trying to install OpenSuse 15.0 on a HP server that has NVMe disks on it configured with RAID1. Unfortunately I cannot change either the RAID configuration or update to OpenSuse 15.4 where I have seen that no issue arise.

With OpenSuse 15.0 instead disks are not recognised by the installer.
SSD NVMe disks should be supported from kernel since version 3.3, but for some reason they cannot be seen.

I have tried also to use legacy boot rather than UEFI, changing several UEFI options, but still no progress.

Is there any way to load these NVMe SSD drivers a-la-Opensuse 15.0, perhaps from another pendrive during the installation, or something like that?

How can you update something that isn’t installed?

In any case, not many here will remember that 15.0 existed long ago, let alone how to play tricks with it. :frowning_face:

But one never knows :slight_smile:

Wrong choice of words I guess. There is nothing installed there, but that server is supposed to have 15.0.

15.0 is old but not so old, but in general the issue is something that could happen whatever the version. How can I load a HW driver for something that works in a more recent OpenSuse version in an old one and how can I find it on the net ?

I can of course not value the strong bond between that system and Leap 15.0, but 15.4 is in fact only a step-wise update of 15.0. I am not aware of differences that go so far that 15.4 will be uninstallable on a system that can run 15.0 (well in fact you say it can’t).

Why not simply try 15.4 (and enjoy the added security and more chance of up-to-date support from the forums here)? Or are there other then technical reasons that you want to stick to something that is not supported anymore for more then three years (which is rather long in computer software terms).

I agree, I thought there would not be issues of this kind, but I was wrong. Unfortunately I cannot install 15.4 in this system for other reasons (not technical ones). I have tried also parameters like:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 nvme_load=YES

with no success so far.

@calgur can you undo the raid as a test, just run one nvme and see if it boots… there is another forum thread about the similar issue (Not RAID) with nvme’s and booting, Can not install opensuse tumbleweed in second nvme

I’m assuming this is an air gapped system, can the kernel be upgraded?

Thank you for your reply and the link.

Unfortunately I cannot disable it, I have tried all the configuration options in the BIOS/UEFI. It is an HP server that for some reason is kind of locked on RAID1.

Upgrading the kernel is not an option as I would probably need to change many other packages that depend on the previous (15.0) version. It would be a better option to kind of backporting the NVMe driver somehow, but I still have not found how to do it and if it is feasable.

@calgur the Leap 15.4 kernel… or backport from that…

1 Like

yes I am looking into the backport option

@calgur The other thought is does it have internal USB and get a header with a USB port, pop a small USB device and put /boot/efi and /boot on that with the OS on the RAID device(s). You can test with a live USB to boot from and make sure you can see the nvme device(s).

Thank you again for your suggestion. Let me see if I have understood: you are suggesting of using a pen-drive as device for /boot/efi and /boot and then the NVMe for the OS . I think /boot/efi can go there in the USB drive, but I have still not understood how can I install the rest of the OS on the RAID device(s).

It has been out of support since December of 2019:

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime

@calgur yes, in a setup I had here, the BIOS didn’t support nvme booting, but could see the device after boot. So if you boot the install media and boot via the advanced options into rescue mode username is root and just hit enter at the prompt can you see the device(s), lspci lsblk etc? It could also be a controller issue perhaps some more hardware details?

Yes, I know, but unfortunately I am stuck with it

1 Like

That’s interesting! So you are suggesting to install just /boot/efi and /boot on another pendrive and that is ok. It is still not clear what to do next. I will try to play with it though. Thank you again!

The server is a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen10 with a Broadcom Megaraid controller

@calgur I suspect you need to find the exact device and likely add some broadcom drivers for example: Installing Linux drivers for MegaRAID 92xx controllers

IMHO hardware is too new for Leap 15.0. AFAIR Leap 15.0 uses 4.12 kernel.
Try to attach NVME drives directly to CPU, without use of controller.
Or use SATA drives.

Thank you again, I think this link could possibly do the trick

as far as I know NVMe drives require a controller

NVMe drives have onboard controller.

1 Like