Nvidia wrong default driver

I’m new to Suse and it all pretty much runs well except the newest Nvidia proprietary driver for my 9600 GT card does not have my usual res of 1360x768. It has anything but however the previous driver did. I tried installing one from the repos #173… but it failed to install or failed to remove the other one

I’m at a dead. I have an 18.4 inch laptop monitor and no other resolution suits it except the highest one which is way too high for me. Anyone else facing this issue? I sure could use some advice on this. Thanks.

So use the older driver that works!

I found the older driver at Nvidia.com. I have no idea how to install it. it.s not a .ymp file like the new one.

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run

What should I do?

Thanks

You need to download the file to /home/username*

Next - if you don’t have 2 PC’s so you can read this and work on your nvidia, make a copy of this:

Alright so here is how to install the nvidia driver manually, in case the one in the repo doesn’t work or u just want to use the latest.

Go to Yast>Software>Software Management

Search for and install if you don’t have these:

make
gcc
kernel-source

Now download the latest Nvidia driver:

Place the file in your /home/username

Now restart and at the boot screen, pause the boot by moving the down button, then move back up and clear any text in the boot arguments by holding backspace. Then just type the number: 3
At the login
Login with your username and password

Now switch to super user with su
and root password

*Now remember you can use the {TAB} key to auto complete

so type:
sh NVIDIA{TAB}
and the whole file name should auto complete

eg: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run

Follow the installer and let it compile the kernel module for you.
Say Yes to everything
Use TAB to move around
reboot

So before you do the above, you must un-install your nvidia driver and remove the repo.

Reboot as described above to level 3 and follow the directions.

Wow! Sounds positively dangerous but I’ll have to try it.

I’ve been trying to configure my TV card which is about 18 months old but not in the list which appears a bit euro-centric to this Canadian. I’ve tried going with the not listed option but I’m getting nowhere . It’s an HP ATSC/Analog hybrid capture device.

Avermedia vendor and Phillips chip 1131-000A=NXP SAA7160.

Also Canada is not in the short country list.

Thanks again!

The latest driver is 195.36.15 by the way. You can try this driver, may be your problem solved in it. It can be fount in the Nvidia repository.

I do not recommend installing non-packaged drivers by the way.

First solve your video card problem, then please start a new thread on the TV card matter. Make a proper title and state openSUSE version, KDE4/Gnome, 32/64bit etc. I bet you will need help on this, but this is where you’ll find if your card is supported:
LinuxTV.org - Television with Linux

That’s the driver that doesn’t have my res. I downloaded from Nvidia driver 190.42 which I hope is the previous driver.