Nvidia video card driver on Suse 11.2

Does OpenSuse 11.2 standard Installation and upgrades video drivers cover usual 3D needs?
Installed one click nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.6-3.1.x86_64.rpm standard

Is it advisable to install Nvdia: “NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run” driver on OpenSuse 11.2 for Kde or Gnome GUI?.

Hardware: MSI K9N + 4GB Ram + Athlon X II 64 + GeForce 8600GT 500MB + SoundBlaster Live.
Thanks

So I am just another openSUSE user just like you. I use only nVidia video cards and I highly recommend you use and load the latest nVidia proprietary binary video driver for your video card in openSUSE. The basic problem with using this driver is that every time you get a kernel update, you must reload the video driver. Further, after a kernel update, you will not load the KDE or GNOME GUI, but be stuck at the terminal prompt. Now if you have the binary driver loaded in a known location, such as /home/user/Downloads, it is no problem to navigate through the system and load this driver, if you know what you are doing, but many Linux users do not understand how to do this.

The second option is to add the nVidia Repository to your installation and install the driver that is present in that set. Almost always, the driver you will install this way will not be the very latest, though it can be argued that unless they are fixing a bug of some sort, older cards seldom get faster with a newer version of the nVidia driver. The basic good part here is if you load the driver this way, kernel updates do not break the video driver installation.

Either way you load the nVidia proprietary binary video driver, you will have faster video and better 3D support than using the open-source video driver included with openSUSE and there is no cost to you to obtain this video driver, just some extra effort to get it loaded.

Thank You,

It’s generally pretty easy to install the nVidia .run driver you downloaded. Just copy it to your home directory /home/yourname - make sure you right click on it in the file manager and set it as “executable”, then end your current session (or hit ctrl-alt-bakspace - you have to hid backspace twice!). Then in the lower right hand of the login screen (where it asks your username and password), you should find an option to do a console login. Log in as root, then, do
cd /home/yourname
…then you can do
ls
and you have to type
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.53-pkg2.run
(here I put the name of the driver file I’m using)
Answer yes to everything… it will make a backup copy of your old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I usually type startx at this point to make sure everything is working. Rebooting, you can open a console and type
su
nvidia-settings
(that program may be something you have to download from a repository - maybe it’s Pacman) but any changes you make in the settings program will only stick if you do it as root.

:open_mouth: Patti :wink: