NVIDIA Upadate problem SOLVED - again. Thanks to wolfi323

Hi all
Thought I’d post this fix before it drives someone else crazy.
BACKGROUND: New kernel updates recently and also updates to NVIDIA drivers. This was good in that it fixed a different problem where compiler complained of undefined things in an nvdia module, but when I rebooted, I was met with the fallback GUI. Went to the NVIDIA configuration app, which said to do a command-line update, but when I rebooted after that I didn’t even have the fallback. Just a command-line and startx wouldn’'t work. This has happened before but I had to chase up the solution, which I found here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/518297-Kernel-update-breaks-NVIDIA-driver/page4
SOLUTION: It appears that if you run OpenSuse Leap 42.1 on hardware, but have the virtual box guest additions installed, the NVIDIA installation fails to configure correctly. To fix this:

1. Delete the file vboxvideo.ko from /lib/modules/4.1.x-default/misc/
  2. Uninstall NVIDIA drivers, and then re-install.
    I was able to boot the previous kernel and do this from the GUI interface. Perhaps an expert could post how to do it if you can’t get to a GUI.
    COMMENTS: Not sure whether this issue arises when running in a vbox, but I suspect not. I’ve now uninstalled the guest additions totally, so I’m hoping this doesn’t occur again. I didn’t realise that they weren’t needed when running virtual boxes as host.
    Also, I’m thinking that the NVIDIA developers should be made aware of this, so they can fix the scripts, but not sure how to do that.
    Peter R

A bit of an update.
Back from a 5-week holiday and updated the system. This time, on restart, only got terminal mode, whether I booted the default or previous kernel. Had to rollback with snapper to get a GUI system.
Tried update again, and found that the system insisted on installing the virtualbox guest additions, even though I had previously uninstalled them in the Yast Software Manager.
The following then worked, all done before rebooting:-

1. Uninstalled vbox guest additions in Yast.
  2. Uninstalled nvidia drivers.
  3. Reinstalled nvidia drivers.
    This is becoming a pain, and I’d like to contact relevant developers, but not sure who or how. The failure occurs in the nvidia installation script when it tries to link to the relevant kernel module, and gets confused by the presence of the guest modules. But maybe that makes sense. Maybe it’s the developers of vbox who are at fault, since the guest additions are not needed if you are running on hardware. Or is it the OpenSuse vbox package maintainers? Any idea on who to contact?
    I’ve added a step, but can’t yet say what the result is:-
  4. Mark vbox guest additions as taboo in the software manager.
    Cheers
    Peter R

This should not be necessary any more if you installed the latest virtualbox update, as that fixes the problem.

If you installed both (nvidia and virtualbox) updates at once, you may still have been affected though.

Maybe it’s the developers of vbox who are at fault, since the guest additions are not needed if you are running on hardware.Or is it the OpenSuse vbox package maintainers? Any idea on who to contact?

See above.

I’ve added a step, but can’t yet say what the result is:-
4. Mark vbox guest additions as taboo in the software manager.

That’s fine (the guest additions are not needed/useless on the host), but shouldn’t be necessary any more.

If you continue to have problems with nvidia updates, they must be caused by something else…