NVIDIA Optimus not working (again) after nvidia-bumblebee update

After finally being able to get optimus working in version 340.xx the recent update to 343.xx broke it again. It says cannot load nvidia.ko.

Can anyone help here?

Best regards

Did nvidia-bumblebee load or did the regular NVIDIA driver come in instead??

zypper installed an update to the nvidia-bumblebee package. During the installation it showed the version number.

TO get it running at all (which was my first thread here about) I had to remove the normal nvidia driver completely.

As I said: If I go to Terminal it shows that there is a fatal error which happened because it couldn’t find or load nvidia.ko.

I also grep’ed the Xorg log which showed nothing.

Interestingly also using modprobe fails with the message:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/3.11.10-21-desktop/updates/nvidia.ko): No such device

(The same message one can see in the terminal.)

Not much to do about it for the moment, nvidia.ko indeed seems to be broken. We will have to wait till the devs fixes it.

Is it open source? I guess no. Because then one could have a look at the issue oneself…

My concern is that the correct driver ie bumblebee version is the one that got installed and not the regular driver. So you should manually check in yast .Note also you can drop back a version if it is just a broken update. Check the version tab (bottom right)

As far as I can tell zypper installed nvidia-bumblebee. This should automatically install the appropriate driver (esp. not the regular one).

I will try to solve it by downgrading.

Are there any news regarding this?

Regarding what?

What nvidia card do you actually have?

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

The latest nvidia driver (343.xx) dropped support for anything below a GTX 420.
See also here if you are affected by that:
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/501143-Bumblebee-Nvidia-drivers-not-loaded-after-updates-on-13-1?p=2666231#post2666231

I have a 330m, so this is apparently the reason why it is not working any more. How can I reinstall the 340.xx driver from the repos?

Yes.
This is no longer supported.

How can I reinstall the 340.xx driver from the repos?

Uninstall nvidia-bumblebee, and then install one of the 340.xx versions from:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/nvidia-bumblebee

Downgrading (expectedly) worked.

I am wondering why it was done in this way. I mean I didn’t see any warning for that. Could something similar happen to the normal nvidia cards?

I think having different branches for the nvidia-bumblebee package would have been a much cleaner version.

For the future: Where can I get such information from? (One can of course read the release notes after installing, but it would be much nicer to know such things before installing the package.)

Cheers

Well, I’m not involved with the Bumblebee repo, so I don’t know. (I don’t even have an Optimus system myself)
Maybe the maintainers were not aware of that problem themselves?

Could something similar happen to the normal nvidia cards?

Probably not.
I suppose the new (343.xx) driver will get into the repo as G04.

Or do you mean that support for cards get dropped by the driver?
Well, nvidia-bumblebee is the normal nvidia driver (just installed in a special way by the package), so yes.
This happens all the time.

That’s why there are G01, G02, and G03 packages in the nvidia repo.

I think having different branches for the nvidia-bumblebee package would have been a much cleaner version.

Yes.
But you cannot easily keep different versions of a package on OBS.
As I already wrote in the other thread they should maybe just provide a nvidialegacy-bumblebee (or whatever they call it) package with the 340.xx driver.
Or downgrade the nvidia-bumblebee package to 340.xx and package the 343.xx driver as nvidialatest-bumblebee or similar.

For the future: Where can I get such information from? (One can of course read the release notes after installing, but it would be much nicer to know such things before installing the package.)

Nvidia’s homepage maybe?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
Click on the link for a particular driver version and you get the release notes and a list of supported products.