NVidia GE Force 8500 & 11.4 multi monitor support

I am running a pair of NVidia GEForce 8500 GT’s with multiple monitors – twinview, not cloned, under 11.2. 64 bit on an Intel board with a Core Quad proc. I wanted to upgrade to 11.3 and the KDE desktop but was put off by horror stories I read about multiple monitor configurations. I did a web search using multiple monitors and 11.4 and so far have not been able to learn anything definitive about how easily my configuration/hardware might (or might not) run under 11.4 with the KDE desktop. Anyone have any idea or experience with the latest RC and multiple monitors running NVidia hardware?

Thanks

I am running a pair of NVidia GEForce 8500 GT’s with multiple monitors – twinview, not cloned, under 11.2. 64 bit on an Intel board with a Core Quad proc. I wanted to upgrade to 11.3 and the KDE desktop but was put off by horror stories I read about multiple monitor configurations. I did a web search using multiple monitors and 11.4 and so far have not been able to learn anything definitive about how easily my configuration/hardware might (or might not) run under 11.4 with the KDE desktop. Anyone have any idea or experience with the latest RC and multiple monitors running NVidia hardware?

Thanks
expat1, I know exactly what you are talking about. I use a dual monitor setup on my work laptop and stuck with openSUSE 11.2 just because of the reasons you suggest, though it has an Intel Video setup. Now just this minute, I setup Twinview on my computer running openSUSE 11.4 and a nVIDIA 450 video card. I have installed the nVIDIA proprietary video driver and it is working just fine. It defaulted to being side by side, but my two monitors are one above the other. I was able to set the top monitor as being above my main monitor and it is working just fine.

It is hard to say about all setups, but I would suggest that at least if you are interested in trying the proprietary nVIDIA video driver it should work for you.

Thank You,

Nicely clarified James. It does depend on one’s graphics hardware and configuration requirements.

In 11.4 I am using two monitors on xfce and planning to add another one tomorrow. It’s configured as separate screens on nvidia graphic card.:wink:

Thanks very much to all of you for the kind interest. Lets see-- in 6 days more or less, we will know wont we???

Regards
expat1

Thanks very much to all of you for the kind interest. Lets see-- in 6 days more or less, we will know wont we???

Yes, please keep us posted with your experiences here.

I have an Asus system (home built) with dual PCI Express slots, which each contain an identical EVGA video card with Navidia bios. Each card has two monitors on it, and all four monitors work fine under Windows Vista, but Suse will ONLY operate the two monitors on the primary video card. It sees both cards, but the system does not see the monitors on the second card…any suggestions? I assembled this system specifically for it’s purpose, selecting the components to operate together. It’s not a “high performance” gaming computer, but a medium performance stock trading station:

EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked Video Card - 512MB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA (E145-0244)

Asus M4N75TD Motherboard - Socket AM3, nForce 750a SLI, ATX, RAID, SATA, Gbit LAN, Hybrid SLI (A455-2895)

AMD ADX450WFGMBOX Athlon II X3 450 Triple Core Processor - 3.20GHz

2 GB ram