nVidia & Firefox

Hi

I’ve already posted about this, but the issue still persists.

I have installed openSuse 11.0 32-bit and have an nVidia Quadro NVS 140M card. I am unable to get dual monitors working - I have used the one-click install with poor results. First result won’t let me startX from the command prompt (various error messages about screens available but no usable configuration), and after mucking about with xorg.conf and re-installing, getting the nVidia eye on screen…only to be followed by a blank screen with a cursor in the top left corner.

My only solution has been to restore xorg.conf to its backed-up state and live with single screen just now. My second monitor appears as a clone of the first, but uses the main monitor’s resolution, which is wrong for its dimensions. Anyway, I don’t want two screens the same…

Also, Firefox doesn’t run very well when scrolling down a page. it is very, very slow to scroll. I am sure that the two issues are linked but cannot resolve them myself.

I should add that a previous install of openSuse 11.0 (64-bit) gave similar issues on the same laptop but was resolved by using the one-click nVidia install. I’ve gone for 32-bit as I need 32-bit support for some legacy software.

Any suggestions?

You don’t mention it, but it looks like you forgot something. Run ‘sax2 -r -m0=nvidia’, pick Change Configuration. The sax2 configuration screen will appear, giving you the opportunity to configure extra monitor(s). Used it with a 9800GT, worked like a charm. 2nd Monitor is dead now, 1st replaced by 24".

No, did that with the same result. I get so far with Sax2 and then it fails to start when I save configuration and restart.

I’ve also tried to use the “painful” installation method recommended elsewhere - that didn’t work either…

Well, I don’t know what I did…but it’s working now. I did use the instructions here -

http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/411466-nvidia-quadro-nvs-140m.html
  • but they didn’t work.

Then…I had one more go, following the instructions and removing all nvidia drivers using YAST and things started to work. I now have dual screen again, so thanks to all who tried to help. I expect that any failure is on my part, rather than the quality of instruction.

Firefox now scrolling perfectly.