Nvidia drivers (beta)

For those of you wanting to stay on the cutting edge there’s a new beta out for nvidia driver. Here’s the link to the 64-bit.
It installs (‘the hard way’) without a hitch on the 2.6.36 kernel.

Thanks peteh100 for letting us know about the new nVidia beta drivers. It is good to hear it will now work with the kernel 2.6.36 as I can say that the last one that came out did not work with that kernel version. For anyone wanting to download the latest nVidia driver, don’t forget your will need to install an FTP client like FileZilla to download this file properly (or an addin to FireFox of some sort).

Anyone that wants to compile the latest kernel from source into openSUSE and you are kind of crazy like me should look at this thread:

S.A.K.C - SuSE Automated Kernel Compiler

Anyone thinking about installation the nVidia driver, should read this, but use the beta driver name/version as talked about above.

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

Then, take a look at the procedure I use to install the nVidia driver as I install openSUSE 11.3:

1. During the install, when you have the option to change your booting setup, I add nomodeset to the kernel load command for the normal load/start of openSUSE. This kernel startup option is already present for the Failsafe selection for openSUSE.
  2. During the first start of openSUSE, I download the latest nVidia Video driver to the downloads folder.
  3. I change/save the System/Kernel option NO_KMS_IN_INITRD from “No” to “Yes” in the /etc/sysconfig Editor in Yast.
  4. I do an update of openSUSE on the first run of openSUSE and then a restart/reboot.
  5. In grub OS selection I add the command line option “3” to the openSUSE start line so that I just go to the run level three terminal prompt.
  6. I login in as root and change to the /home/user/Downloads folder.
  7. I run/install the NVIDIA video driver using “sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.53.run” and answer all questions as appropriate for my system.
  8. Type in reboot at terminal prompt to restart the system with new video driver.

**If you update your kernel and install the latest beta nVidia Video driver and you let the smoke out of your PC, don’t call me as you were warned to not do it!
Thank You,

Note, the 260.* series driver has had reports of degraded OpenGL and 2D performance so it might not be optimal for daily operations.

Thanks Chrysantine for the warning. What I have decided to do is stick with kernel 2.6.35.4 and to use the nVidia driver version 256.53. This combination is working great for me and so I am not going to consider going up any further until both the kernel and nVidia driver go for standard (not beta) release.

Thank You,

Why not just right click on the run file and select “Save Link As…” ?

Raffles10 Asks: Why not just right click on the run file and select “Save Link As…” ?
That is a very good question Raffles10. First off, it is my preference use a FTP client when downloading large or multiple files from a FTP site, in lue of using a Web Browser. When you do save Link as, your choice is to be saved as a plan Text Document. When I look all of the files I have downloaded through various ways, they indicate they are a file type of shell script. It is my thought that the FTP download will preserve the file in its correct format, but I could be very wrong here. If you have saved and then used the nVidia file this way before and it worked, then there may be nothing wrong with doing it your way, as you suggest.

Thank You,