Nvidia driver problem after update.

Hello!

Here’s my situation: I have an nvidia video card, and I didn’t install my drivers through YaST, I compiled and installed them with the help of a script downloaded directly from the nvidia website. Everything was working fine until yesterday. Yesterday after doing an update (stupid me - I don’t remember exactly what was on update list, but I’m sure some gnome packages were there (I use gnome)) I tried to shutdown my laptop. What seemed strange was that the usual suse-chameleon splash screen didn’t show up and the computer freezed on a text message “System is going for a halt NOW!” (or sth like it - I guess this is the message you get when closing the system from the command line). I waited for a couple of minutes and since the computer seemed to have frozen and I didn’t have time, I shut it down “brute-force style” - pressed and held down the power button.

When I open my system now the graphical desktop fails to load, I get several

gdm[1449]: WARNING: GdmDisplay lasted 0,126835 seconds

messages and finaly is says that maximum number of fails has been reached. When I check the X server log I find:

Failed to load NVIDIA kernel module
Failed to load module “nvidia” (module-specific error, 0)
No drivers available

modprobe nvidia gives:

FATAL: Module nvidia not found.

I guess I need to reinstall my nvidia driver, however the system boots to the command line interface. How can I revert to the ‘default’ video driver so that I would be able to download and reinstall the nvidia driver? By default I mean the one which was running the graphical interface just after suse installation.

I use opensuse 11.2.

Thanks for Your help in advance!

Seems like there was a kernel and/or Xorg update on your part. If this was the case and you use external proprietary video drivers, your need to recompile them each time after such an update occurs (it can be a PITA, i know, but that’s what you get when 1) using external non-repo drivers and 2) a company refuses to provide specs so we can write an open in-kernel nvidia driver with good 3D performance and all features of the proprietary driver)

Since I don’t know if only a kernel upgrade came, only an Xorg one or a combination of the two, and you also seem to indicate you don’t know yourself, the safest is to just boot to init 3 (type at the grub menu on bootup just 3 or init 3) and it won’t automatically try to load the X server. After that, login on the console there as root and execute the nvidia installer again so it’ll build both a kernel module and the relevant Xorg nvidia_drv driver

you can pull the nvidia driver from console with wget, for example.

64 bit: wget "http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/195.36.08/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.08-pkg2.run"

32 bit: wget "http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.08/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.08-pkg1.run"

PS: make sure to chmod +x the driver so it’ll be executable

I don’t remember exactly what was on update list

Try: less /var/log/zypp/history

Did the kernel get updated? If so, reinstall driver that you mentioned. Make sure it’s the current one.