Nvidia 8600 GTS Hardware update

I now have an Nvidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] graphics card and I had installed the driver using Nvidia’s installer (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run)
My husband wants to install a newer graphics card (the Nvidia 8600 GTS) in my SuSE 11.2 machine. So far, I have downloaded the driver for it and printed out the instructions but my question is this:
Do I have to uninstall the 8400’s driver before installing the new card’s driver or will the new card’s installer do that for me? I’m not too clear about the instructions on how to uninstall the one I have now.

If you are installing the hard way as they say. No
Installing the new driver is all you need to do

Thank you! That is such a relief!

Sorry to bud in but am i correct in saying that you shouldn’t need to do anything? The cards you discribed are very similar and will probably use the same driver… Just for my own information as I am thinking of upgrading mine to another Nvidia card…

I have never done this.
Well not in openSUSE. My Son had Mint 10 and we pulled a card and replaced with a new one, quite different, but I know it used the same driver. All worked perfectly. Which wasn’t the case when he booted to XP.

I’d be prepared to re-install it if necessary. I tend to keep a copy of the nvidia driver in my /home/user all the time. Just in case.

I did go and get the driver for the new card and have it in /home for when the new card gets installed. Because I do 3D work, I really need for the card to be up to its max performance.
(See this: Storm-Artists - gymnart > Artwork > living room redux pt2 and this: Storm-Artists - gymnart > Artwork > Motorcycle Engine 2 - Both were made in “Art Of Illusion”)

nVidia’s drivers have a unified architecture, which means that one install will service all the cards listed for that driver version. Their windoze driver is set up the same way (with a few changes for the way the device manager works, etc.). I had no problems when I upgraded an 8600GT to a GTS250. Pulled the old one, put in the new one, boot, set resolution, done. No driver reinstalls at all.

yeah, that’s what I thought. Thanks for the reply. I have no problems in reinstalling the driver but if it’s not needed than I won’t… I’m a lazy sod when it comes to these things… :slight_smile:

I ended up having to install the driver for the new card after all.
You can see this thread too: New Motherboard

I suspected as much
Thanks for keeping us informed