NVIDIA 60°C while doing nothing - How to check/change power mode?

Hello again! :slight_smile:

I have an older Dell Precision M6300 with NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M (G84GLM according to lspci) graphics, which has 60°C at the GPU while just sitting around doing nothing.

Comparable to this here

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/528192-ATI-FirePro-M7740-went-unstable-any-ideas?highlight=amd

is there a way to check and modify the power settings of this card?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: According to lspci the driver used is nouveau.

Have you tried checking if there are proprietary drivers? It’s a laptop with the dual Nvidia / intel graphics card

I don’t want/need prop drivers on Tumbleweed, it’s not needed and will only add complexity to updates. The machine is doing some firefox/thunderbird that’s it. No 3D stuff.

Nouveau is not the only FOSS DDX. Lspci does not report the driver X uses, only the KMS driver. Both competent FOSS DDX for NVidia hardware use the nouveau KMS driver. The upstream default for X is actually overridden by a typical openSUSE installation. Remove the optional xf86-video-nouveau rpm and X should automatically use the upstream default, named modesetting, which is provided as a part of the xorg-x11-server rpm.

Whether the modesetting DDX might work better than nouveau DDX one can only determine through use, but it is newer technology which is not reverse-engineered. If you find the modesetting does perform more satisfactorily for you, you should run

zypper al xf86-video-nouveau

or employ a taboo on it in YaST to prevent it from being reinstalled. To learn better the driver situation use:

inxi -Gxx

e.g.

# inxi -Gxx             
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [NVS 310] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:107d 									Fermi based
           Display: tty server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv,nvidia 
           compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 1920x1200~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.5 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

The GF119 is in fact a Quadro FX NVS 310, a few years newer than your 1600M.

You may not need the proprietary driver but probably it handles powermanagement better than nouveau does. Just a guess but it might be worth trying.

Regards

susejunky

@ mrmazda

Ok, I did inxi, the driver was nouveau. I removed in YaST xf86-video-nouvea, applied taboo and rebooted. The inxi gives me now “driver: modesetting,nv”, but temperature is stable at 60 to 64°C…

Didn’t buy us much so far, I guess…

Have here old NVS 295, NVS 300 and alike, doing just fine :wink:

@mrracoon

I hate the nvidia stuff on my machines. Only buys you trouble on TW, I fear. I hope I can change the power profile, as we did in the past for the AMD graphics in the link of my first post… :slight_smile:

Guess it was me you wanted to address?

If using this Index of /opensuse/tumbleweed repository “buys you trouble” then you might want to consider using openSUSE Leap 15.1 instead of Tumbleweed.

Regards

susejunky

Hi
The card is not supported anymore… needs 03 (340.107) it needs patching to create a custom install run file…

Hi
Perhaps it might be time to clean out dust bunnies, check the fan and replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU?

Hi! I cleaned it 2-3 months ago. The temp monitor widget was installed some weeks ago and has ever since been at 60 to 64°C without changes in fan activity compared to the last 10 years. So I don’t think the temp is hardware-related but might be related to the power mode. But startpaging around for NVIDIA and power mode settings under linux gave me not much hope…

So the little machine will bake itself to death someday, I fear. One of these 1920x1200 WUXGA displays you don’t find anymore these days…

Widget reporting the wrong temperature possibly ???

You may be able to find the nvidia driver you need from this page.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I’ve not needed to use it for a long time but the drivers include a list of compatible cards. :wink: Worked for me in the past.

John

The little I can add that might be helpful:

I used nouveau, long ago switched to the proprietary nvidia driver installed ‘the hard way’ from https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/ , and am pretty sure I noticed a 10 degree drop in temps after the change. The GPU now runs at around 51 - 52 C; the CPU, between 35 and 45 (with no overclocking and a big cooler).

OK, if I add this repo

https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/

and install the appropriate driver from there, what happenz after the next big update of TW? Do I have to manually reinstall the driver? Or is the software management for the NVIDIA done automagically? :slight_smile:

Hi
There isn’t a driver for the gpu anymore… you need 340.107 which requires patching (and as kernel changes an updated patch) and re-installing manually on kernel version updates.

Yepp, figured that out myself just a minute ago… So: End of game.

Hi
I posted a patch and details in this thread;
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/536065-Driver-Nvidia-and-Kernel5-1-dont-work?highlight=nvidia

I’m not using the GT8800 anymore switched to GT710’s for UEFI support… alas can’t do that in a laptop :frowning: