nvidia 190.42 crashes when setting TVStandard option

I use a NVIDIA Geforce7600GT with SuSE 11.2 and NVIDIA driver 190.42 from the SuSE build service. It works fine except of the TV-Out when I try to set the option “TVStandard” to “PAL-B”. When I do so, the kernel crashes when the nvidia-module is loaded. It is really a kernel crash and not just a X-Server crash, magic sys keys are not working, no ssh connection is possible. I faced down the problem to this option. I used my xorg-configuration with SuSE 11.1 and the TV-Out worked well.

Are there any issues known that maybe the SuSE kernel (I use 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop) is not compatible with the NVIDIA driver or are there any other hints to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any idea!

I have the same problem with OpenSuse 11.2 64bit on an Asus M2NPV-VM (nvidia GeForce 6150) which worked fine with OpenSuse 11.0. Whenever I put

Option "TwinView"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"

into my xorg.conf file and restart X, the machine freezes with nothing in /var/log/messages and no new /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I downloaded and installed the latest nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.53-pkg2.run) and this behaves in the same way as the 190.42 package from the NVIDIA repository. I have just noticed that version 190.53 is available on the NVIDIA repository - I will try that next.

Has anyone got this to work? Thanks! andylow

I tried the new NVIDIA driver 190.53 from the SuSE build service. Same behavior as before, the system freezes. The “TwinView” option is working for me, it’s just the “TVStandard” option that does not work. I also use a 64-bit system.

I tried the 173.14.18 driver from NVIDIA from the SuSE build service and this driver works, no problems so far. This seems to be a good workaround. Nevertheless this is no proper solution for the problem.

Hey! That is a stroke of real genius! Thanks!!

I downloaded and ran NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.22-pkg2.run then replaced my xorg.conf with the one that worked in OpenSuse 11.0 and now X starts OK with TwinView working on my PAL TV.

Unfortunately I still have a problem though - most times (but not all) when I shutdown, the machine freezes with nothing in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It might be that it crashes on exit every session that I ran nvidia-settings - I will experiment a bit more.

Maybe try the packages from SuSE build services (I use X11-video-nvidiaG01-173.14.18-24.1). This works well. I also tried the NVIDIA driver as you did but this also makes problems on my machine.