Nvida driver and GTX 260 on Tumbleweed

I am trying to install the latest Nvidia driver via run file aka Nvidia the hard way.

Where is seems to be getting hung up is at this error.

test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
echo >&2;
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
echo >&2 " Run ‘make oldconfig && make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.";
echo >&2 ; \

I have tried what the the error says to do but still get the same error. Is there a patch or something else that I need to get past this? The kernel version that I am running is 4.11.8-2-default.

The driver version that I am trying to install is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.102.run.

Nouveau has been blacklisted and the module is not currently loaded.

No, this is not an error.
These are the commands that would print out an error message if those files would not be found.

Please post the whole output.

The driver version that I am trying to install is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.102.run.

That’s quite old and probably doesn’t support kernel 4.11 yet…
You’d need to patch it.

openSUSE’s nvidia packages contains this patch that should help:

It is pretty big hopefully pastbin works for this. nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'creation time: Thu Ju - Pastebin.com

Yes that is very old, I have been meaning to upgrade that card several times now. It just keeps chugging along so I haven’t bothered though. Its the oldest bit of hardware in this system now with maybe the exception of the power cord. :slight_smile: Maybe its getting to the time to upgrade now. I will give the patch a try first though once I am done with work today.

Ok, the actual error is this:

/tmp/selfgz19440/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.102/kernel/nv-drm.c: At top level:
  /tmp/selfgz19440/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.102/kernel/nv-drm.c:120:15: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
       .unload = nv_drm_unload,
                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
  /tmp/selfgz19440/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.102/kernel/nv-drm.c:120:15: note: (near initialization for ‘nv_drm_driver.unload’)

The mentioned patch should indeed fix exactly this.

Yes that is very old, I have been meaning to upgrade that card several times now.

I wasn’t talking about the age of the card, but the driver. 340.102 has been released in February… There have been more than one major new kernel version since then.

Thanks I’ll give the patch a whirl. Unfortunately I believe I am stuck on that version of the driver since the GTX 260 has been put into legacy status by Nvida. I’ll post back later and let you know if the patch solves the issue.

Looks like I might be out of luck with that patch nv-drm.c doesn’t appear to exist in the 4.11 source tree. :frowning:

You need to patch the nvidia driver, not the kernel.

Actually the installer should even have a command line option to apply a patch before installing, but I cannot help you with that (I don’t even have an nvidia card).

Google led me to this though which contains concrete step by step instructions:

This issue is proving to be educational too! Heading out now but I’ll definitely try that out when I get back. Thanks a lot for all your help. Its greatly appreciated other than this little driver issue I really like what I see so far in opensuse.

Success, Nvidia 340.102 driver loaded now!