npviewer.bin cpu percentage

Hi,
i have just installed the opensuse 11.4 (the 64bit version)
I have updated all the applications. The only messages I’m facing on the /var/log/warn and /var/log/messages are for the configuration of the bluetooth interface.
But, when I started to watch a flash video, the npviewer.bin process goes up to about 80% CPU.
Does anyone face the same issue?
Any idea on how limit the CPU usage of that process? if not, do you know if a bug is opened and tracked for this issue?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

You could look at switching to this
Fix your flash in 11.4 _64 with flash square

Hi caf4926,
I was looking at it at the same time.
yes, it’s better. I 'm saying better because I’m not facing the 80% CPU usage. But, the browser takes about 50% CPU usage when I’m viewing a flash video.
Do you experience the same behavior?

I had the same issue with ATI graphics cards (at some point since 11.3) and finally fixed it - after a couple months (!) - by simply enabling compositing under Gnome (not enabled by default AFAIK) and on KDE (enabled by default but which I had disabled in my local default). Installing the 64bit version didn’t help (as long as compositing was disabled). See this thread: compositor: quickly sets/unsets compositing (helps with fullscreen Flash on ATI)

It’s quite possible that the issue doesnt affect all models of ATI cards.

I didn’t have problems on nvidia systems - and therefore didn’t install the 64bit version (or maybe I did for testing but didn’t notice a difference).

50% is not unusal. I reach 75% in fullscreen and it varies from 30% and 50% otherwise. Flash eats a lot of CPU resources anyway (That’s why you don’t find it on the iPad).

hi please_try_again,
I have a nvidia card. I looked at the kwinrc file and i didn’t find any “Enabled” entry for the compositing group. so, I tried : kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled --type bool true
I disconnect/reconnect and nothing have changed when I’m viewing a flash video.
I think that I leave as it is!

Thanks for your help guys!

Yep, you’re right, I just tried and HTML5 video and it didn’t take that much!
thanks.

This is not enough. You have to enable compositing for full screen videos as this is disabled by default - assuming it’s a fullscreen issue. Here are the commands I use for KDE:

#! /bin/sh
kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled --type bool true
kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key UnredirectFullscreen --type bool false
qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin reconfigure 

The compositor script switches these boolean values and reloads the configuration, so there is no need to log out and re-log in.

But again, I doesn’t make a difference on Nvidia (on ATI a huge difference though).

Yep, I didn’t notice any diff!