Nothing boots after install of SUSE 11.1

I am trying to put openSUSE 11.1 (DVD) on my machine for a dual boot system with Windows Vista Ultimate sp1.
DVD checksum was OK.
During the process I kept all the default values and it showed:

format partition /dev/sdc6 (20.00 GB) for / with ext3 (This is Type Linux Native FS=Ext3)
Use /dev/sdc5 as swap [2.01 gb] (This is Type Linux Swap FS=Swap)
Set mount point of /dev/sdc7 to home [367.7 gb] (This is Type Linux Native FS=Ext3)
Set mount point of /dev/sdc1 to /windows/C [342.67 gb] (This is Type HPFS/NTFS FS=NTFS)
Set mount point of /dev/sdc3 to /windows/D [199.09 gb] (This is Type HPFS/NTFS FS=NTFS)

Everything seems to go along smoothly from there until it starts to load the grub boot loader.
I then get an error message:

GNU GRUB version 0.97(640k lower / 3072k upper memory)
[minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.]
grub>setup–stage2=/boot/grub/ stage2=force lba(hd0,1)(hd0,5)
checking if “/boot/grub/stage1” exists…yes
checking if “/boot/grub/stage2” exists…yes
checking if “/boot/grub/e2fs_satge1_5” exists…yes
running “embed/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5(hd0,1)”…failed (this is not fatal)
running “embed/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5(hd0,5)”…failed (this is not fatal)
running "install–force-lba–stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,1)

error 22:No such partition
grub>quit

When I press OK it then says to re-boot to start SUSE
I did not see anywhere that I could edit the menu.lst file or do anything else but re-boot.

It starts the re-boot process, but nothing happens.
SUSE nor Windows will start, it sits with a blank screen and flashing cursor.

I had to put the Windows install disk in and “Repair the boot”

Being new to linux I really have no idea what I am doing, but need to do this at work for some software we need to run.
We are small and don’t have an “IT/Linux guru on staff”

Any and all help greatly appreceiated.
Thank you.

You could boot Linux with the windows bootloader
Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

But if using grub I always install to MBR like this in the setup during install:

http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/19.png

With out specific disk layout it is difficult to give precise fixes.

The general is it has installed it but it hasn’t installed the grub bit(Boot loader). Now you should be able to place in the install media and boot from hard drive and it should boot fine.
Then from here you should be able to use yast or manually install grub.

The problem occured in the auto detecting or something…
running "install–force-lba–stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,1) <= note 1st disk 2nd partition but …
You said
format partition /dev/sdc6 (20.00 GB) for / with ext3 (This is Type Linux Native FS=Ext3) <= Now approx this would/could/should of been (hd3,5)
Hopefully using the bootloader from yast will manage it, but if not then you may have to resort to manual grub.
GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
Generally the first bit goes in the first disk booted mbr and the 2nd bit in the / of the distro.

EasyBCD came close, but install to MBR did the trick.
Thank you.

Good stuff. Well done:)