notebook with optimus technology won't boot up in openSUSE 12.2 BETA

Hi,
I’ve been trying to get my notebook working properly. I need to have dual OS (Win 7 and SUSE/openSUSE). OS Windows 7 works fine with optimus technology, so there’s no problem. Problem is, that SUSE (SLED11 SP2) is not working correctly (from the point on instalation, where i get a welcome screen, main screen starts “flashing with all colors” and all I can see even after succesfull instalation. I need to use external monitor, which is not accaptable). So next step was last stable version of openSUSE (12.1). It doesn’t work at all. Instalation won’t even show up, so there was no go. Than I tried just from curiosity liveCD with Fedora and that works just fine, but i need SUSE/openSUSE distribution. So last step was trying openSUSE 12.2 BETA. Instalation was succesfull, screen wasn’t “flashing with all colors”, etc… But when I was trying to boot up the system i got stucked at approximately at 80% loading. Even after 2 hours nothing changed. In /var/log/messages I found this error:

[drm:intel_dsm_platform_mux_info] ERROR MUX INFO call failed
[drm:intel_dsm_platform_mux_info] ERROR MUX INFO call failed

When I boot up to Recovery mode and turn Gnome Display manager afterwards, than I get to main screen and I’m able to do a litlle bit, but notebook is slow, I’m not able to add new packages, Yast is crashing everytime i try find packages, nvidia driver installs more than 1 hour with no success, etc… At least I’m able to get logs from there.

So my guess is that integrated graphics doesn’t work as it should work and I’m kind of stuck. Question is if it’s problem on my side, if it’s problem between keyboard and the chair or if it’s bug/something that’s being working on.

Notebook specification:
Sony VAIO S1511V9ES
Processor: [LEFT]Procesor Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000,
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU
RAM: 8 GB PC3L-10600

If needed I can provide all logs, files, etc …

Regards, Petr. [/LEFT]

On 06/28/2012 10:56 AM, R4d DraGoN wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I’ve been trying to get my notebook working properly. I need to have
> dual OS (Win 7 and SUSE/openSUSE). OS Windows 7 works fine with optimus
> technology, so there’s no problem. Problem is, that SUSE (SLED11 SP2)

if you want/need to run SLED then you should to go to their
support/forum to resolve the issue with them…[free support for 90 days
(maybe more)] here: http://forums.suse.com/

NOTE: there are a few SLED users around here, but you are MUCH better
off getting SLED support from them…(yes, it IS that much different)

YES, “integrated graphics” seems to be a lot like something the
Linux-haters dreamed up to lock folks into some other system…so, i
have no idea if the SLED folks can help…

if not, THEN come back and (forget 12.2 for now) and start over with
12.1 after reading all the work-arounds/tip/tricks/etc explained in
these fora…that is, read some/most/all of these, for example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.opensuse.org+“12.1”+“integrated+graphics”

dd

Maybe that helps you
http://tinyurl.com/7vjgtxa
(Unofficial howto for bumblebee)

PC: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

This is happening over at fedora too. It seems to be a conflict of the two graphics cards.
Here is a possible solution
reubendb 2012-01-16 10:50:47 EST
I just found out that my laptop with this issue has 1 Nvidia card and integrated Intel graphic card available, and that Nvidia Optimus technology is enabled on the BIOS. Disabling that seems to make this issue gone. Do those of you who experience this problem have similar setup ? I am wondering if this is the cause, e.g. there’s no support to switch the graphic correctly (I could be way off). To check, see if “lspci -nn | grep VGA” shows more than one line, and one of them is Nvidia.