Not working well with Nvidia graphics card

Downloaded and ran 12.3 64 bit on my laptop which uses intel graphics it works fine but on this machine which has nvidia graphic no so good.

I can get it to load with no APIC but only in 640 x 800 resolution and there seems to be no graphics set up in yast so other than trying to modify the file by hand don’t know what to do.

Really like what I see so far and will keep trying to get it going on this box also.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:56:01 GMT
kc1di-qrp <kc1di-qrp@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Downloaded and ran 12.3 64 bit on my laptop which uses intel graphics
> it works fine but on this machine which has nvidia graphic no so good.
>
> I can get it to load with no APIC but only in 640 x 800 resolution and
> there seems to be no graphics set up in yast so other than trying to
> modify the file by hand don’t know what to do.
>
> Really like what I see so far and will keep trying to get it going on
> this box also.
>
>

No problems with this nVidia card and nouveau driver. Could you give
more detail re your card?

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.3-B1 (64-bit); KDE 4.9.98; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Between the lines you explain that you have an NVIDIA Optimus config. That would mean that installing the NVIDIA driver like you do on single-graphics-card systems is not going to work. What you need is Bumblebee, and the NVIDIA driver for Bumblebee. The latter does not replace files belonging to the X-server by symlinks to it’s own versions. Search the forums for bumblebee, and you’ll find a post by hank_se which contains good instructions to get bumblebee installed and working.

EDIT: I may have misread your post. Are we talking about 2 different machines? And, are you aware that 12.3 is not released yet, i.e. in beta, which means you can’t yet expect it to be stable?

It’s a Nvidia Geforce 6150E nforce 430 have not had any problems with this card in ubuntu or mint and it will work with 12.2 also but no luck with 12.3 as yet.
thanks for any help

In deed I was talking about two different machines and yes I realize it’s beta wasn’t really looking for stable just wanted to try kde 4:10 and 12.3 beta on my desktop. evidently it’s not to the point yet where it has support for my Nvidia card.
Thanks,
Dave

You probably need to wait until the NVIDIA drive becomes available (after the release sometime) Or you could try installing it the hard way but you will need the Kernel source code. I suspect the problem is with nouveau driver