I was removing things installed with ‘dkms’, and now this laptop boots to terminal mode instead of into the GUI.
It is also not booting to user auto login. I can login, enter password and then type ‘startx’ to get back to the GUI
These are what I was removing in YaST from the bottom up.
I pretty sure it was the gcc that cause this but not sure, but what ever it was caused a reboot, and that is when it stopped at the terminal input.
Tsu2 might have meant systemctl isolate graphical.target. If it doesn’t work, susepaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can look for clues. Clues might also be found by output from ‘journalctl -b | grep ailed’.
No, my wife’s laptop only has the onboard intel graphics, and it is not nVidia. And nothing in the list in my OP indicates nVidia.
I wish I had known about that dkms.service thing needing to be started. May have saved this headache.
And AFAIK, no /etc backups.
Short story longer, I was removing the dkms service and all that was installed with it(individually because they don’t come out when removing dkms).
And I apparently screwed up something, don’t know what!
I had it there for her WiFi dongle(I have that in another thread in Wireless section), but it didn’t update with the next kernel like I thought it would/should.
I got user Sauerland’s repo, and installed the WiFi driver for the dongle from it.
I will look to see if the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file is still there from when I fubar’d it. I didn’t make a copy.
I think it keeps a backup, but the machine has been started several times since the I did another upgrade.
It was easier for me to just grab the install USB stick and do an upgrade, than to beat my head against a wall I didn’t know how to get around.
I still would like to get rid of all that heavy duty stuff that came in with dkms without another problem like this one.
Tried those and still got the terminal login prompt, no GUI.
At any rate, I put the USB stick in and did an upgrade. So far that has taken care of the problem.
I figured that was Tsu2’s meaning after doing some reading in that other post I found. It didn’t work either.
If the files contain information from before the ‘upgrade’ I will put them in susepaste. I would like to know what I did wrong!
So it’s not a GPU issue, rather a missing software issue. You might check yast > System > Services, It should state ‘graphical target’, If it doesn’t set it. Another thing might be to force a reinstall of you DE