I have fully encrypted root filesystem (whole /) with LUKS. Recently i upgraded my PC to 13.1 (current kernel version is 3.11.6) and it isn’t bootable anymore. During boot, boot logo disappears as it should, and LUKS password prompt appears. But i can’t enter password because it is blocked by message
Waiting for /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000524AS_9VPCQQY2-part2 to appear.......
After a few minutes timeout system is unable to find HDD and enters rescue mode.
After entering in the rescue mode i checked /dev/disk dir but it isn’t exists…
BTW old intird for kernel 3.7.10 from Opensuse 12.3 works ok, detects /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000524AS_9VPCQQY2-part2 ok, even after recreating of initrd with mkinitrd script.
I tried. But i see password characters between loading dots as i type:
Waiting for /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000524AS_9VPCQQY2-part2 to appear...........my..pas..wo...rd
I seems that mkinitrd scripts turn off plymouth for some reason:
if luks_check_ply; then
plymouth display-message --text "Enter your passphrase, only US keyboard layout is supported"
echo "*** Note: only US keyboard layout is supported."
echo "*** Please ensure that the password is typed correctly."
That should make it easier to fix. At least you can get in.
I usually don’t install plymouth. I think the first boot after install was a bit confusing. But I typed in the encryption key anyway, and it worked.
On another install, where I used a live image so did have plymouth, I was using only encrypted “/home” and encrypted swap. Again, the prompt for key was a bit confusing, but entering it did work.
Once I had the system up and running, I removed plymouth (on the system where it was installed). I put “initrd” in the option field of “/etc/crypttab”. And then I ran “mkinitrd”. That way the prompting for encryption key is done from the “initrd”.
My only current “problem” is in a Tumbleweed system, using an encrypted LVM. On booting, I get a zillion lines of “LVM not found” before I am prompted for the key. With 12.3, I used to get a bunch of lines “no media present”, probably from a flash memory card reader. I suppose the 13.1 messages replace those.
Since you can get in, you might try setting “initrd” in the options field of any needed entries in “/etc/crypttab”, and setting “noauto” in the options field of an unneeded entries. Then rebuild the “initrd” and see if it helps.