Noob noob noob!!! Help please

On 2014-05-26 13:36, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> hcvv;2645507 Wrote:
>> I know all that, but you tell the OP here that it isn’t there. But it
>> is. The way how it is implemented is unimportant. When the user calls
>> it, it is there and eveything you know about vi for forty years does
>> work.
> Another one of this fruitless discussions?
>
> vi and vim are not the same.
>
> And vi does of course not do all the things that vim does. (vim didn’t
> exist 40 years ago)
> The OP asked whether vi is good. Since there is no “vi” on openSUSE (but
> vim), it doesn’t matter how good vi is. Because you can only use vim,
> which is by design an “improved version” of vi.

But if you call “vi”, it runs, and works, same as it has done for
decades, even if behind the scenes it is “vim”.

-v    Start Vim in Vi mode, just like the executable
was called "vi".  This  only  has  effect
when the executable is called "ex".

That’s what Henk means :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

On 2014-05-26 09:26, satnav08 wrote:

> 1. I have forgotten how to get packages. I remember using a command that
> I think is unique to every distro and for Suse its zypper but the
> problem is I forgot how I found out the names of the packages. I know
> the install/remove command but I also forgot the get command. If you
> could help with that it would be great.

zypper --help

will tell you all the available combinations, but “zypper se” does a
search. Also “cnf program” will tell you what package to install to get
a particular program. And there is a search URL:

http://software.opensuse.org/search?

> 2. I though about using Yast but when I open it up Yast2 hangs and I
> just can’t terminate it.

I understand you got this one solved.

> 3. Does the documentation has enough material in it to help me become
> proficient with opensuse.

Depends… there are lots of documentation all over internet, the
problem is finding the most appropriate one.

> 4. Developer tools for Opensuse. I am sure someone here is a developer.
> Is vi good. I am learning vi but its really challenging. Is it really
> that good or is that all hipster ********. Could you tell me which
> editor is good for developers for Linux?

Each person chooses his preferred editor. Vi(m) is very powerful, but so
is emacs. Both are the classic choices, but there are many others.
jedit, no name just one.

And, if you are a dev, there are also IDEs.

> 5. How the hell do I update my applications. I can’t update Firefox and
> therefore I can’t run Firebug. What about Chrome? Why does everybody
> talk about Chromium and not Chrome. Do Chrome extensions work on
> Chromium?

You could start with “zypper patch”.

Chromium is the open version, and is available via our repos. Depends
what you want, you install one or the other.

> 6. I tried to intall opensuse 9 months ago but something happened to the
> bootloader. Its still there in my system. I don’t even touch it because
> the last time I did that my Windows installation got corrupted. Would it
> be safe to delete it using EasyBCD?

You could run this script:

bootinfoscript

to find out where it is. Mind, not from a virtual machine, but on the
real one. For example, from a USB stick running the XFCE rescue image
from the download page.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-05-26 15:06, wolfi323 wrote:

> No, it’s not directly related to VirtualBox.
> The installation medium is one of your installation sources, but it is
> not inserted.
> Either insert the installation medium or enter YaST->Software
> Repositories and disable/remove the installation medium.
>
> You should not need the installation medium if you have an internet
> connection, as everything is available from the online repos anyway.

However, being a virtual system, the host probably has the downloaded
iso file, so you can simply tell virtualbox to use that image as a DVD.

And, in the cases where the Internet speed is low, or capped, it makes
sense to use things from the DVD first.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Here’s a few more hopefully helpful points…

• For most functions on a Linux machine, documentation is included in 2 forms, the main <detailed full blown> version are the man pages. Simply type “man” followed by the function you want to know more about. For example,
man zypper
  • Many have already mentioned how to display “help” which is an abbreviated shorthand displaying the command and various available switches and options. Some commands will support the full word “help” which needs to be preceded by two dashes
zypper --help

Other commands will support simply the letter “h” which should be preceded by a single dash

zypper -h

Note that you can get specific help about a specific option or switch, for instance about adding a repository

zypper ar --help
  • Don’t apologize about forgetting how to do things in Arch Linux. Most distros share very little beyond the very, very basics. Package Managers in particular are very different from one distro to another so a majority of things you might have known earlier wouldn’t apply in another distro.

• Where to install apps from and how to improve? In general, most apps will best be installed from the standard repos which are part of a default install. Additional “Community Repos.” A popular list is located here, Packman is a very popular, almost required repo to add but there are many others as well for specific uses.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories

Although applications normally come from repos, modifying certain apps like web browsers are done differently. Major apps sometimes maintain their own installation and management of plugins, add-ons, etc that the web app’s functionality. So, for instance adding a FireFox plugin wouldn’t be done with an openSUSE tool but a tool within the web browser.

• I think others have described how to address specific issues, like
    sr0 - That’s your mounted DVD used for your initial installation. Typically all updates should be done online to get versions released after the DVD was published, so you should disable this DVD source (For newbies, easiest is to do this in YAST > Software Repositories)

• EasyBCD - IMO although that tool is the standard tool to use for modifying the Windows bootloader, there is plenty of ways to make mistakes with it. Recommend you use it to remove old Linux bootloader paths (that’s all it is, does not actually contain Linux boot code) you attempt to install Linux. For that matter, I recommend you continue to use Virtualbox with any/all secondary OS and avoid chainloading bootloaders of multiple OS unless the OS need special physical access. The recommendation in the previous post that suggests simply wiping is dangerous without first understanding the chainloading sequence, whether MBR or UEHI is implemented, more.

• When you first login, Apper (the updating utility) will be busy trying to determine what updates you need and while that is running any other package management system won’t be able to access the system. So, either just do something else and wait until Apper completes or you will need to forcibly stop Apper first.

• Although not written just about anywhere, you should run the following command to get the most recent pieces for your system which would improve performance, address security issues, add features, and more. After you run it once, you can decide whether you want to continue to run periodically (I would recommend) or simply patch your system (if you’re more interested in retaining packages and package versions which some apps may require). Note how big the download will be the first time you run this, is an indication how much openSUSE has been improved since the DVD was published.

zypper update
  • Dev Tools
    If you’re very hard core, you can use a text editor like vi or vim (for that matter, probably every text editor has been used for coding at some time or another) but new and sometime coders can usually benefit from an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) specific to the coding language you are writing. IDEs will provide numerous benefits which might include

Organization of re-usable code (libraries)
Highlighting
Auto-completion
Special environ variable configuration
Dev specific tools management
application structure

Choosing an IDE generally starts with the languages you intend to code. They also range from the relatively simple like an enhanced text editor to enormous, complex behemouths which deliver functionality required for teams to co-operate with each other.

If you code, you may also benefit by learning how to use git. You can install locally but probably better is to open a free account at www.github.com. Free accounts give you your own workspace at no cost and unlimited size and bandwidth if you don’t mind making your code publicly accessible. The additional benefit of using github is that it’s designed to share code (is why public is free). If you see and want to use code someone else created on github, it’s easy to clone a copy of your own and start making your own modifications. You might be interested in looking at my presentation slides describing how to use git from the command line to setup your own free website. Using github for your regular code uses the same upload/download commands but doesn’t require changing to the special web pages branch
https://sites.google.com/site/4techsecrets/slide-presentations-30min

HTH and good luck,
TSU

Right now I have only done 1st part and there are still 13 left. I am learning Web Dev. This is why I wanted to install Linux. My teacher is using a Mac. I just bought a PC like 2 months ago whereas my classes started a week ago. He said my best bet is to use Linux so…
I am thinking of using Mavericks in VB using
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzwrbXg92NQ and How to install OS X Mountain Lion in Virtualbox with iAtkos
if Linux does not work. I will see as my course goes on. I think Linux would work and only in projects I will have problems but if it doesn’t then I have to to VB a OS X Mountain Lion or if possible Mavericks.

I have a github account and installed git but don’t have any idea how to use it. I will be getting lectures on it in the future from my teacher though. I’ve heard it acts like you resume too.
I am also looking at Sublime 2. Its difficult choosing a editor as a beginner. Don’t want to use an IDE without learning the langs the right way. Hate the Auto-completion feature. After I compete the code and know what goes where ie the semi colons etc then I’ll get an IDE.

If you want to be completely legal, there are licensing issues running a Mac OS in a virtual machine. With any publicly licensed version of Linux (like openSUSE) you’ll have no such issues. You can create one or a zillion instances of openSUSE without licensing restrictions which can be really nice especially when building a Development box. You can create and configure a VM to your satisfaction, then clone it at least once so that you’ll always have a working/running copy if your main Dev box goes south (which can happen, because when developing you’re creating and installing things that don’t always do what you expect).

IIRC sublime is mac-specific. It won’t run on any other OS. It’s very cool as an enhanced text editor and very popular when building on a Mac. I don’t know of anything similar on Linux but unless you’re really going for performance and features, that kind of text editor isn’t likely necessary. If you’ve installed the KDE Desktop, IMO Kwrite is a very capable editor which has some basic code-writing enhancements like auto-highlighting tags (click on an opening tag and the closing tag will also be highlighted, useful for making sure your tags are properly closed).

Are you writing straight HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Perl, any other languages commonly used for web development? Specific information is required for any recommendations, or you can do your own search. Also, if you’re coding HTML, are you coding specificly HTML5 and maybe code that will run specific target platforms like mobile devices? Are you going to be implementing any web frameworks like jQuery? Will the instructor be teaching some variation of MVC (Model/View/Controller)?

Nowadays, the more advanced coder will spend some time to acquire really good tools from the beginning so you can work as efficiently as possible.

For a really powerful, low cost web development IDE I’d recommend Web Storm. It might be free or low cost for academic use. Is free if used to build/support open source websites. Lots of plugin flexibility to support numerous web technologies.

Don’t shy away from using an IDE. You can often turn off or ignore features you don’t want, at the very least they’re good for learning how to do things the few <right> ways (there are many more ways to do things wrong. I’ve seen plenty of code written without understanding efficiency, organization and structure).

As always, asking your instructor for recommendations can be useful if he/she really is multi-platform or knows only how to code on a chosen platform,

Run through the steps in my PPT github slide deck.
You might be uploading HTML or markdown web pages to your own github hosted website in less than 30 minutes.

TSU

I totally agree. It’s splitting hairs to think otherwise. Being pedantic doesn’t help the OP’s cause.

Glad to have been of help. :slight_smile:

Ok, I didn’t know this.

Still I don’t understand what the fuss was about.
I only made a small sidenote to the OP that there’s vi and vim and openSUSE ships (only) the latter.

Ok, maybe I should not have written it exactly like this:

Apologies for the bad wording then. I was more thinking in terms of packages than executable names when writing this.

… that’s what we are here for.

Using openSUSE, the next time something like that happens, come here and ask. You would not have had to wipe things clean, IMHO.

Are you writing straight HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Perl, any other languages commonly used for web development? Specific information is required for any recommendations, or you can do your own search. Also, if you’re coding HTML, are you coding specificly HTML5 and maybe code that will run specific target platforms like mobile devices? Are you going to be implementing any web frameworks like jQuery? Will the instructor be teaching some variation of MVC (Model/View/Controller)?

I am a complete beginner in this field. Actually I am a complete beginner in programming so I will try and answer what I understand from that post.
My course work includes :
Rough Overview :
HTML5, CSS3, JS, JQuery, Ruby, R on Rails, Databases(SQL), Github, Git Workflow, Cloud Computing.

HTTP, MVC, REST, API, cookies, authentication, activerecord, metaprogramming, advance routing, UX design, Chrome devtools, node.js, backbone.js, angular.js, ember.js.

This is all I know regarding what I will be doing. If you can recommend IDEs/editors which work for these then I will certainly try them because this course is bloody hard for someone like me who hasn’t done anything in this field before. Any help will be appreciated and taken seriously.
All I know is basics of HTML5, JS, Databases and that is all so this is going to be a long and hard course.

If you want to be completely legal, there are licensing issues running a Mac OS in a virtual machine. With any publicly licensed version of Linux (like openSUSE) you’ll have no such issues. You can create one or a zillion instances of openSUSE without licensing restrictions which can be really nice especially when building a Development box. You can create and configure a VM to your satisfaction, then clone it at least once so that you’ll always have a working/running copy if your main Dev box goes south (which can happen, because when developing you’re creating and installing things that don’t always do what you expect).

I understand the licensing issues. I want to use Opensuse. There is not one bad review from reputed sources out there regarding the 13.1 version. I really like the version I am using so the 13.1 version experience is likely to be better. I will have to translate some step so that they work on Linux instead. If I get help from communities like Forums and Stackoverflow then I will continue with Suse but if it becomes too time consuming then considering my schedule I will have do something. I don’t think it will be that drastic. Many of the commands for mac(it is also unix i think) and linux are similar so far and I just tried many that I will be needing for the next few lessons and all of them worked. I think my tutor is being a bit paranoid in this regard and is bit of a apple fanboy I guess.

Reply to rest of the post

Sublime works for Linux too.

I have heard about JetBrains products and their products are considered good but only ever tried Pycharm. I think it will be great for front end dev. Do you have anything good for back end?
All of the Jetbrains products have 30 day trials so I’ll probably install them after I have done at least 3 out of 13 modules and am in the thick of it. When I am building respectable stuff with many lines of codes then I will install them to see what they are made of but I likes Pycharm and bought it even though my Python programming course in on hold(its an online course)

As for the slide show I am having trouble with it. The first four pages are kind of cut. Information is missing.

Yup will do so.

What happened is I had two entries in my boot menu. I had uninstalled Opensuse but the Grub was still there. Upon start up I somehow chose Grub rather than Window 7. Some error came and boom system crashed. After that the Window bootloader got corrupted. I tried everything. Visited many Win forums but it just didn’t work. I could not even install a fresh copy as nothing would boot. I remember most of it now. Took the HD out. Used a external case and wiped it clean. NTFS formatting and then I was able to install it.

On 2014-05-26 23:26, satnav08 wrote:
>
> Fraser_Bell;2645643 Wrote:
>> … that’s what -we- are here for.
>>
>> Using openSUSE, the next time something like that happens, come here
>> and ask. You would not have had to wipe things clean, IMHO.
>
> Yup will do so.
>
> What happened is I had two entries in my boot menu. I had uninstalled
> Opensuse but the Grub was still there.

But not complete! You removed the files that grub needed for booting,
stored on the openSUSE partition. Once a complex boot manager, such as
grub, controls booting, you can not simply erase the partition where it
resides. First you have to remove grub, and ensure the remaining
operating system can boot.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-05-26, satnav08 <satnav08@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> 4. Developer tools for Opensuse. I am sure someone here is a developer.
> Is vi good. I am learning vi but its really challenging. Is it really
> that good or is that all hipster ********. Could you tell me which
> editor is good for developers for Linux?

I develop software written in Python, C++/C, and assembler. I use Vim and can strongly recommend it. Here you are
talking about vi', which does _not_ come with the base openSUSE installation. Whatever the posters above say whether vi’ and Vim' are the same thing is unhelpful nonsense. They are _not_ the same thing. The software Vim’ is
charityware because it sponsors a project to help poor children in Uganda. This is not the case for vi'. So if are calling Vim’ by the name of vi', you are guilty of undermining its identity and publicity associated with its charity work. Yes, Vim’ does have a vi' compatability mode but it does behave identically to vi’ e.g. it still reads the
$HOME/.vimrc configuration file.

I cannot gauge your level of experience to comment on how much Vim will be of any benefit. Here’s a list of a few
editors, that I can strongly recommend:

1. Vim: console-based editor with modes. Pros: very fast for fast typers. Cons: Vimscript is clunky and not very
    extensible.

2. Emacs: console-based editor without modes. Pros: fast for fast typers and highly extensible scripting with it’s
    lisp-dialect. Cons: Keyboard shortcuts can cause/aggravate RSI.

3. GVim: Graphical (X-based) version of Vim - makes Vim mouse friendly.

4. XEmacs: Graphical (X-based) version of Emacs - makes Emacs mouse friendly.

5. GEdit: GTK-based editor (good for GNOME) with an intuitive menu and keyboard shortcuts.

6. Kate: Qt-based editor (good for KDE) with an intuitive menu and keyboard shortcuts.

For beginners, I usually recommend #5 or #6, for intermediate users, I suggest #3 or #4, and for advanced users I
recommend #1 and #2.

That’s quite a curriculum list.

Several of those, especially the frameworks Backbone.js and Angular.js just by themselves are full courses requiring long weeks of instruction to understand.

If you know your instructor is using sublime, maybe that by itself could be enough to justify the investment to purchase a sublime license as well. Although I don’t use it, I’ve seen others use it and all give it high marks. The current version which supports Linux was apparently launched a little less than a year ago, the first version didn’t. The new version in development, Sublime 3 looks like it has minimal new features at this point, but important ones.

IMO the most important features you should look for in your tool should include

• Integrated or easily invoked debugger. In your case, likely javascript but might include others
  • Pluggable architecture which supports each of the languages and frameworks you listed. Sublime and webstorm in particular are good for your list.
  • toolboxes of objects. Relates to pluggable architecture. Even better but not necessarily required is drag and drop.
  • WYSIWYG. With web technologies is not as critical as coding others like Java or dotNET, but makes life easier. Also, if you’re coding strictly HTML5, object placement becomes less certain so WYSIWYG is less accurate.

From your list, a good advanced text editor like sublime on openSUSE should perfectly support your instruction. All the other components you will be installing to support the technologies you list can be installed, maintained and updated easily without causing undue complications in your web development tool of choice.

Good Luck,
TSU

Yeah,
I may have to re-build the slide deck for my PPT Git presentation.
Has some problems with browsers running in Linux, it was originally created for a Windows audience.

Believe if you clidk the download button and deploy in LibreOffice Impress, everything should display properly.

TSU

It locks now after I ran an update but now I have 220 new updates.:open_mouth:

Somebody please tell me how to close this tread now that almost all problems have been solves. As a moderator suggested its a vague thread anyway. I’m going to make individual topics if I run into problems in the future.

Threads in these forums aren’t usually formally closed.

And just this once people will likely overlook your vague thread title… :slight_smile:

People who do a search may find this thread based on its content regardless how it’s titled

TSU