No xserver after installing update to (VERSION_ID) 20210604 with zypper dup

also written:
The project does this for users that want the newest stable software.

You don’t get it NVIDIA stuff is NOT open source so not part of openSUSE (note the name). It is available yes but is not maintained or part of a default install. You install NVIDIA at your own risk. Learning to use NVIDIA the hard-way is not that hard and generally keeps you ahead of changes in the NVIDIA repo in Tumbleweed. .

1 Like

@gogalthorp that has changed as there is now an open module (just like amdgpu) and some firmware built by openSUSE and available in the oss repo.

This only works on Turing or better and the trigger to install was too broad in nature, hence the issue of packages being installed on systems with nvidia cards whether or not they met the requirements.

I have Turing and Pascal arch installed here and it wanted to install, but I looked at what was happening and added locks before running dup…

Which has nothing to do either with original problem nor most likely with the current problem. The original problem was due to fundamental changes in filesystem layout and recently there was bug in NVIDIA packaging that resulted in broken driver on update. None of these are results of NVIDIA being closed source, they are pure Tumbleweed packaging bugs. Which may happen with open source driver as well (actually there is bug with open source driver that is accidentally installed where it should not. Which is again pure Tumbleweed packaging bug).

1 Like

@gogalthorp [deleted by staff]
I do not want to imply that the community has not yet understood.
No matter whether it is about NVIDIA or audio drivers - everything is feasible.
I paid 79 DEM for a Suse version a few years ago and would have no problem spending money today to have a stable version including proprietary drivers.
So think a little about what I have written here.
Your answer I consider a collossal flop.

regards

At least 21 years ago…

Install Leap as already mentioned by different users, if you are still not able to do basic troubleshooting on a rolling release after so many years of linux experience on your side. If you get annoyed by using a search machine and applying found solutions on a terminal once or twice a year…linux in general seems not a appropriate solution for you then…

If my Tumblewwed won’t start, i shrug my shoulders, boot from a prior kernel, use a search machine, look for bugs and threads, apply the solution/mitigation, reboot…done in 5 Minutes…and the life goes on …
In the best case i learned a new command or smth different…in the worst case i had to drink one cup of coffee more in the 5 minutes…

And your behaviour and unconstructive complaining doesn’t animate other users to help you in any way…

1 Like

At the moment, that is not my goal. I had already posted that I could solve the problem myself at first, but wanted to point out that there are always problems with the X desktop.
Had decided to go with Tumbleweed because there have been recurring difficulties with the distro upgrade from Leap in the past.
But well, the die is cast. It will be another distro or OS because instability is not seen to be a problem here.
I admire the nice people who help other users here in the forum with advice and action when they have a problem.
But when it comes to recurring errors - even with perhaps different causes, may I ask what is wrong with the QA at Tumleweed.

Hard to write a test when users don’t follow the Factory mailing list, or read the announcements with the changes in each snapshot, or what is being displayed on the screen?

For openSUSE QA, write a test for package(s) you care for to be included…

Remember proprietary and patent encumbered packages from third party repositories, eg development projects on OBS, Packman, Nvidia etc are excluded…

Mods are watching this thread. Please keep to the T&C of these forums. No personal attacks. All people that try to answer here do so with good intentions. Even if people might point to basics about what is to be expected from TW vs. Leap. or the different possible ways of handling nVidia hardware that is with the good intention to help making decisions.

4 Likes

Such carnival comments are absulutely superfluous.

Going from one new release once a year to one new release a day was probably not the best way to go?

As you know openSUSE is a community effort (i.e. created by volunteers in their spare time provided to us for free). So the best way to deal with problems is to actively join in and provide solutions. You can check openQA and create the test cases which are missing.

2 Likes

Blockquote
As you know openSUSE is a community effort (i.e. created by volunteers in their spare time provided to us for free). So the best way to deal with problems is to actively join in and provide solutions. You can check openQA and create the test cases which are missing.

Thank you for the conciliatory and satisfactory answer.
I am not a developer (anymore) and a part of a group that monitor a complex system 24/7.
Which toolchain do you use?

Except for mitigations=auto, everything following quiet on your linu line in Grub probably needs removal, particularly the spurious comma. I think all are workarounds from devel cycles past whose usefulness has probably expired, unless specifically called for by NVidia’s proprietary driver installer. I would try without them, one by one if necessary.

I’m in the habit of not upgrading my 20 or so TW installations on a regular basis. Most go at least a month between updates. The oldest typically go at least 6 months. Several use NVidia graphics. None use proprietary graphics drivers. I can’t remember the last time I “lost” an X server by an upgrade.

Zypper does a great job, but it can’t be responsible for what can’t be QA’d coming as blobs from closed sources, particularly when the kernel has advanced two or three major versions between activities (5.16.8 February 12; 5.19.13 October 5; 6.1.8 January 25).

1 Like

What is not mentioned on https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed: Maintaining Tumbleweed requires some common sense. Some two days reading time since switching to discourse on December 13 tells me that many less experienced users complain about Tumbleweed not working as they think it should work. That is not Tumbleweed’s fault. Mileage is highest (and exceptional) for users getting familiar with how Tumbleweed works. :wink:

I’m not quite sure what you are looking for.

To maintain my openSUSE Tumbleweed systems I do not use anything special (just zypper to do the updates and journalctl to occasionally monitor the system status).

But I do follow the openSUSE Factory mailling list paying special attention to posts like “New Tumbleweed snapshot …” or “Tumbleweed - Review of the week …” or any discussions on planned “fundamental” changes (e.g. usr-merge). Based on that information I decide on my “update strategy”.

This is all I’m doing since I switched all my systems to openSUSE Tumbleweed three years ago. And up to now I never had any major issue with any of those systems.

I apologize if I am not enthusiastic. After I have already nagged here, the ICA Citrix Client does not work since today. It’s garbage too, but at least it worked halfway until yesterday.
I have long time for openSuse “held the rod”, but with the garbage you drive me to Win11 or MacOS.
I want to use a system and not have to constantly tinker with it.
To the cardboard noses that are about to scream that the thread is ancient, I would like to say: grab your nose and check if it is made of cardboard.
regards

and yes, I am really pissed off.

@bastler0815 Did you browse the Factory mailing list (I see a login issue with pam location changes), when you say this third party application doesn’t work, what doesn’t work?

Likewise, start a new thread on the issue

You need to take out your frustrations, stick to the technical issues and I suspect folks will try and help, else you may find yourself dealing with Forum Staff.

1 Like

Closing this thread out, as it has descended in to a nonconstructive rant (best placed in soapbox if at all), and this is a technical forum for those who genuinely wish to seek help and advice, best approached with a level of humility and constructive dialogue.

3 Likes