I’m writing this post to help another people with this problem, but also to understand a little more with you guys, if possible.
After uptading to kernel 5.11.15 my wireless device stopped, but I changed to the previous kernel version on boot and ignored it. Today I made zypper dup and my functional kernel was removed, resulting in neither, 5.11.15 and 5.12.4, working with my wireless device.
My wireless device is a Atheros AR9485 as you can see on lspci:
I’m confused because the message on dmesg stills the same:
5.465871] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
5.466024] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
5.674322] ath9k 0000:1c:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
5.682437] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x21
5.682439] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
5.682440] ath: Country alpha2 being used: BB
5.682441] ath: Regpair used: 0x21
6.072813] ath9k 0000:1c:00.0 wlp28s0: renamed from wlan0
But I’m looking for enlightenment, I’ll try to figure this out from the source, pretty obvious now that you appointed but is something that I not used to do.
So, I’m far away from really understand Linux, this is why I came here lol!
**Country alpha2 being used: BB **, that is “Barbados”?? Maybe you have to check that your config actually calls for “BR”?
**Regpair used: 0x21 **: maybe your card (like mine) follows what is in the EEPROM no-matter-what?
Adding to my previous post, there is a remark in the changelog for wireless-regdb that might be related to your problem:
| gio 26 nov 2020, 13:00:00
| - Update to version 20201120:
* wireless-regdb: update regulatory database based on preceding changes
* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Kazakhstan (KZ)
* wireless-regdb: update 5.8 GHz regulatory rule for GB
* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Pakistan (PK) on 5GHz
* wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Croatia (HR)
* **wireless-regdb: restore channel 12 & 13 limitation in the US**
* wireless-regdb: update regulatory rules for Egypt (EG)
Channels 12 and 13 are apparently allowed in Brazil, so if your hot-spot uses one of those channels but your laptop card defaults to an “US” setting, that could explain why your laptop became “deaf” after that update.
(just my guess, I’m not really an expert in the field).