no wifi with Broadcom on dell laptop

Hello,

I am no expert with Linux. After unsuccessfully trying my hand with Debian i stumbled upon Open Suse and i am impressed. By far the most clean install i have got to do so far.

However, i dont have wifi although it shows listed in YaST2 - Hardware information under Network card. Also, Drivers shows Active:Yes & modeprobe:Yes.

Below are details of my wireless card. Since am used to apt package management and newbie with rpm. Any help to get my wireless working will be highly appreciated.

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1704 802.11n + BT 4.0 [1028:0016]
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge

You need to install the Broadcom drivers from Packman repository.

First add the Packman repository;
YAST -> Software -> Software Repositories -> Add -> Community Repositories -> Checkmark Packman. Next, Next and Finish. It’ll add it and ask you to trust the repository signature - you’ll want to answer Always to that.

After that you can do this in two ways, either use the GUI (YAST -> Software Manager) and search for broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop and install that (it’ll install broadcom-wl too) or, as root or with sudo, issue; zypper install broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop

After installation, reboot and see if it works.

Thank you! Miuku. That worked like a charm.

Am glad i switched to Open Suse. loving it! Thanks again.

James