No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/disk/by-

My wife’s computer is down and I need a bit of help. It has 10.3 i386 on it. Below is the end of the boot text. Thanks in advance for any help.

++++++
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA… -part3
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor…-part3
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains and ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with and alternate superblock.
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck.ext3 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor…-part3 failed (status 0x8).
Run manually!
blogd: no message logging because /var file system is not accessible
ehci-hcd ohci-hcd uhci-hcd usb-ohci usb-uhci: registered new interface driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

fsck failed for at least on filesystem (not /)
Please repair manually and reboot
The root file system is is already mounted read-write.
Attn: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this maintenance mode. Shutdown or reboot will not work.

Give password for login:
(repair filesystem)#

Instructions for fsck can be found here: fsck(8): check/repair file system - Linux man page

It doesn’t sound too good. But I would check all your drive connectors, pull out and back in carefully.
If that doesn’t improve matters work on repair.

A good boot cd to check the file system like knoppix. Knoppix will generally pick all drives you have, mount them etc.
Or google Ultimate Boot cd

see how you get on

I have downloaded Knoppix. I will give that a shot. Thanks I’ll let you know what happens.