No Space Left on Device

I’m running OpenSuse 10.3 kernel 2.6.22.5-31-default on a HP box with P400 controller

with about 57% of a disk free I get the message aboce when I try to perform a cp command.

I performed a reiserfsck --check No problem was reported Also i’ve performed HP Smart array teste and it show that de disk are OK.

google haven’t helped me at this time.

Anny idea?

Thanks

dl380g5:/ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3 245G 133G 113G 55% /
udev 4.0G 116K 4.0G 1% /dev
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 99M 16M 79M 17% /boot
/dev/cciss/c0d1p1 137G 109G 28G 80% /toExport

dl380g5:/ #

just adding information
the disk that are supposed to be full is munted in /toExport.

it is a HP sata 10K 2,5 inches. It is not a raid 5

does kdf shows free space in partitions?
see if home folder is full.

Home is not mounted on a partition It’s a folder under the root directory (/). I’m experiencing problems with a partition mounted on /toExport.

It’s got 28G free, according to your own df output. Are you trying to copy more than that?

What happens if you free up some space, then try copying a small file in?

But you’re running a very buggy kernel!!

rob@fir:~> uname -a
Linux fir 2.6.22.19-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008-10-14 22:17:43 +0200 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Is what you should see. 10.3 had a lot of problems early when it was first out, and I lost a lot of time, with strange errors; they went away after the 2nd or 3rd kernel update after release.

Can you use Online Update?

**Ken_yap **- For sure the output of DF shows 28G free, but the problem starts around 60G. the others 32G i Consumed doing test. I could I? I try to copy then the it shows the message. I shutdown the server, then I can do more copies after some copies the problems appears again.

This is a weird problem. I have a Script that backup/restore a firebird database of about 8G using gbak. it generates a not complete output file but, gbak returns $? = 0 (zero). So the script believes that it was OK, but it wasn’t. When it starts to restore the database gbak fails because the backup file is not complete. After that any cp command fails showing the “message no space left on device” with 28G or 60G free, even if you are copying a 1K file.

Robsonsuse. Yes, I can do online update. is there a way to upgrade only kernel performing a online update without mess my server? can you give me some tips on that?

Thanks you all

If you never used it, then you may have to configure the repository, but that was part of a network install.

My connection to http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3 is down right now, so I can’t check the exact URL from 11.1, but it’s fairly self explanatory and will have 10.3 and updates in it.

Then you run Online Update and it will most likely want to patch YaST2 first. Do that, then afterwards you should get a rather long list, which you can install now or later, via check box.

If modutils or binutils, base, glibc get patch updates you may need those as well as the kernel update.

When you can,do update to the latest, those fixes and security patches were created for good reasons.

Whilst the old kernel may have caused a problem here, updating it may not actually fix the filesystem.

But it’s a waste of time, trouble shooting bugs with that kernel, as the symptom may have nothing to do with the real cause of the problem.

How do you get a device name like /dev/cciss/c0d1p1? That doesn’t look like a Linux SATA partition name. Or is this a non-PC architecture?

It’s a hardware raid controller. Made by HP (originally compaq). The hostname is a dead giveaway:

dl380g5

Anyway, have any large files been deleted recently? It’s possible a process had a large file deleted while still open, and the space won’t be freed until the process exits.

True but then df would still show the space being used.

When that’s happened, you the thread goes “the disk was full” so I deleted this massive log file, but df still shows the disk is full!

Being full at 80%, if it wasn’t reiserfs I’d wonder about root reservation or inodes. I got a “disk full” which must have been erroneous during a Debian Lenny test install today, so there must be non-kosher reasons you receive it.

ibm x22 thinkpad /.3 mb mem / 20gb drive
( £100 test-bed - can reformat as no data required)

I have a similar issue on Suse 10.2 / Ubuntu 10 dual boot.
also unable to load Ubuntu - unable to mount device.
Naresh - new to linux … xp,vista pc man!

transferred all /tmp to /dev/hd3 from /dev/hd6 ; cannot empty
waste bin , 286

ns14goo@googlemail.com

linux-vseq:~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda6 5.0G 4.9G 0 100% /
udev 189M 84K 189M 1% /dev
/dev/hda7 4.5G 647M 3.6G 15% /home
/dev/hda3 7.8G 2.1G 5.4G 28% /mnt/disk1
linux-vseq:~ # kdf
kdf: cannot connect to X server :0

ns14goo@googlemail.com
bit more info…Naresh

linux-vseq:~ # sudo mount
/dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)

/dev/hda7 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

/dev/hda3 on /mnt/disk1 type ext3 (rw)
linux-vseq:~ #