No sound on Audigy 2 (Again)

Not sure if this should go in Multimedia or Hardware.

Since OpenSUSE 11.2 I’ve had problems with Pulseaudio. I’ve filed bug reports. I’d really like to use OpenSUSE on my desktop with 11.4 (instead of Arch Linux) but the sound just won’t work. I have an Audigy 2, which is a sound card that has been going strong through multiple Linux distributions and works fine with straight ALSA and Ubuntu with Pulse.

First I thought it might be an installation problem, as my graphics card has an HDMI connecter on. I installed the GNOME version of 11.4 and then blacklisted the modules so it saw only the Audigy. Pulse sees the sound card and I can adjust the volume but no sound comes out. I’ve tried switching all of the various outputs in the Pulseaudio control but nothing ever works.

After this I tried installing from the 11.4 network installation disk and installed LXDE. The sound worked fine (LXDE uses straight ALSA) and I thought I had solved it. I installed GNOME out of the repositories but the minute GNOME came up and Pulseaudio loaded my sound went out again.

At this point I’m thinking it’s something to do with the way ALSA connects to Pulseaudio. I am thinking that there’s a bug with the Audigy 2. I haven’t tried enabling my motherboard sound because it sucks.

Chalk me up as just another person that Pulseaudio doesn’t work for (they’re legion). I’d like to use OpenSUSE on my desktop to standardize my Linux (it works great on my laptop) but with no sound it’s unusable.

Also, to add I have set the Audigy as my primary sound card in YAST. Alsa-firmware is also installed.

Last I checked my openSUSE-11.4 LXDE uses pulse.

Try installing the application ‘pavucontrol’ and then run ‘pavucontrol’ and see if that helps a bit here in tuning your setup such that audio works better.

LXDE was definitely using ALSA. When I clicked the volume icon in LXDE it came up with the Alsamixer. I also confirmed this in the process list (ps -a). It might be different for LXDE installed from the network vs the DVD.

Is pavucontrol different from what is running when you select sound in the GNOME dock or in the control center?

I don’t use Gnome so I can’t say. What does “rpm -q pavucontrol” yield ?

hi,

on my htpc I have a Audigy 2 (cz i think…) and I didn’t change anything during install, It just asked to install the firmware automagically and it worked as it have done last years…
Only change I had to do was to use xine backend instead of gstreamer… and change my output from 2 channel stereo to 7.1.

But you are using Gnome and I’m using KDE so everything I said, flush it…

Alsa, Pulse… Native Pulse audio minus the step Alsa->pulse->alsa… ftw
sry, im rambling, late night pizza and some drunken shame for me.

Kind Regards (Drunk Regards, but still Kind) LaGa

Your desktop may be tuned to use alsa, but LXDE in three 11.4 LXDE installs that I have done has pulse audio enabled, BY DEFAULT and I would be surprised if that was not the case on your PC. Here are a couple of screen dumps from my most recent 11.4 LXDE install from a few hours ago.

Full desktop:
http://thumbnails36.imagebam.com/12339/6b47a3123386978.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/6b47a3123386978)

zoom into alsa-info.sh script output re: pulse running:
http://thumbnails38.imagebam.com/12339/3a4353123386980.jpg](ImageBam)

I do not use Gnome so I do not know what controls one has with GNOME dock nor in a GNOME control center, but I can say the pavucontrol controls are signficantly different from previous KDE controls and I would be surprised if the same is not true for GNOME.

For example, on my recent LXDE pc install (where this PC has two sound devices: motherboard and PCI card) the sound was coming out of the PCI card after the install, and I wanted it coming out of the motherboard device. Going to YaST I was able to change the order of sound devices, and in each device I selected OSS as the output sound mode and I had audio in most apps coming out of the motherboard, but not in Totem nor Firefox. In both Totem and Firefox sound still came out of the PCI card. So I installed ‘pavucontrol’ and then ran ‘pavucontrol’ and with Firefox playing a video on youtube I swapped the sound devices with ‘pavucontrol’ and immediately sound came out of the speakers connected to the motherboard. I did the same with Totem. Superb control.

Having typed that, I’m not a fan of the overhead pulse audio imposes.