No sound in VLC on suse(11.1)

Hi folk,
I have installed VLC player on my desktop(suse11.1)
its playing video files and audio files but no sounds.
I need help …

Thanks
Shariq

The classic new user mistake in openSUSE, when installing vlc, is to mix multimedia applications from both videolan and Packman, where applications from those two repositories are not always compatible with each other in terms of codecs.

In my view it is best to stick with the Packman packaged vlc (and also with other Packman packaged apps) and do NOT use videolan packaged applications, with the exception of libdvdcss which one should get from videolan/libdvdcss repository.

I believe you should replace any videloan packaged apps with packman packaged equivalents. You can tell packman packaged versions by the “pm” in the version number.

There is also guidance here to help you sort this: Check your multimedia problem in ten steps - openSUSE Forums

With respect to software repositories, note that having more is often a very bad idea and it can lead to problems for new users. Hence I recommend you stick with ONLY the official repositories, which are OSS, Non-OSS, and Update. … Also add one non-official repository and for that I recommend Packman repository.

IF you need an application from another repository, add the repository briefly, install the necessary application, and then IMMEDIATELY remove or disable the other repository.

Hi Am naive user of Linux.
I checked the dependencies of all packages as give at
Check your multimedia problem in ten steps - openSUSE Forums
but I trap in other problem ( can be seen below)
I dont know how to fix it , please help me !!!

LC_ALL=C zypper ve

Retrieving repository ‘Packman Repository’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘Packman Repository’ cache [done]
Retrieving repository ‘devel:languages:python’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘devel:languages:python’ cache [done]
Retrieving repository ‘home:thomas-schraitle’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘home:thomas-schraitle’ cache [done]
Retrieving repository ‘openSUSE-11.1-Update’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘openSUSE-11.1-Update’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Some of the dependencies of installed packages are broken. In order to fix these dependencies, the following actions need to be taken:

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
kdebase3-runtime

Overall download size: 1.1 M. After the operation, additional 3.1 M will be used.
Continue? [YES/no]: Retrieving package kdebase3-runtime-3.5.10-17.4.i586 (1/1), 1.1 M (3.1 M unpacked)
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000003: No medium found (mount: No medium found on /dev/sr0)

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]: r
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000003: No medium found (mount: No medium found on /dev/sr0)

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]: i
Warning: You have chosen to ignore a problem with download or installation of a package which might lead to broken dependencies of other packages. It is recommended to run ‘zypper verify’ after the operation has finished.

the above problem is solved .
but I have problem with step2

for the problem for step2 is given below(I am able to play video file with VLC player but no-sound)

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME} -> %{VENDOR}
’ | grep -i videolan

libfaad0 -> VideoLAN Project (VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!)
libx264-80 -> VideoLAN Project (VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!)
libdvdcss -> VideoLAN Project (VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!)

It tells you the problem !!

You have a videolan packaged vlc version. You need to replace that with a packman packaged vlc.

I think your being puzzled by this is indicative of your not understanding (or not having read) the “10 steps” guide.

I removed the two pachages (libfaad0 -> VideoLAN Project AND libx264-80 -> VideoLAN Project )

step1 : yast2 --remove libfaad0
yast2 --remove libx264-80

step2 : I disable the VLC repository

step3 : yast2 --install libfaad0
yast2 --install libx264-80

But there is problem in step3
‘’‘Following packages haven’t been found on the medium:
libfaad0’‘’

The same technique worked for remaining packages which were install from VLC repository … the re-installed from packman repository.
can any one help me out.

You are doing something wrong. faad is on Packman:
PackMan :: Package details for faad2
… frankly, your having videolan as a repository (and who knows what other repositories) has caused this.

I never see such problems. They just do not happen.

But the way to ensure one does NOT have such problems, is to use ONLY the official openSUSE repositories (OSS, Non-OSS, and Update) and also add Packman repository. Just those 4: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. No others. None. Not one.

The problem here is you are trying to close the barn door after the horse is gone. The horse is gone!! You need to get it back by replacing EVERY videolan packaged application with a Packman one.

@oldcpu
sorry to disturb you…

the problem with “libfaad0” but on packman repository “libfaad2”
is there …

so finally I want to ask … where can I find “libfaad0” for packman repo .

I am not at a linux pc right now so I can not give you a precise answer - as I need to be at a linux PC to confirm my view on this (ie I think I know the answer, but I want to check myself on my PC before I post).

In the mean time, can you advise as to what the output is of:

zypper lr -d

copy and paste the EXACT output.

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±-------------------------------±----------------------------------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±---------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
5 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.1
18 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
19 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss
21 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1

@oldcpu
Only these 4 repositories are enabled remaining are disable.

If I had to bet, I would say something installed from the others caused this problem.

Can you advise what you installed from those other?

@oldcpu
Actually I am new to LINUX system,
So I am try doing experiment with my system .
even I was not knowing what the repositories are and what they do .
Just I did
yast2 --install <some packages>
if it un-succesfull … I gone to open suse software repositories and opted ONE-CLICK-INSTALL
if I did’nt find that too
I search some .rpm packages and then install.

but with this Problem I learn many thing about LINUX.
I am thankful to this problem but still problem is unsorted .

[QUOTE=shariqnitt;2144615I am thankful to this problem but still problem is unsorted .
======================[/QUOTE]
I recommend you check your packman repository, and if there is any package available on Packman, that is also installed from another non-packman repository, then change that package to a packman packaged version. You can tell packman packaged versions by the “pm” in the version number.