No sound in Movies and Browser(flash video)

Can anybody give me a clue why there is no sound when I watch videos via any player or browser?, I’ve installed “restricted formats codecs”, (well I did it many times for GNOME desktop of 11.3 SUSE and it was ok), now when I’ve installed KDE and downloaded these codecs, there is no sound in any video media I play. Audio card seems to be working and configured just fine, then it should be codecs, but what else can I install instead?

Double check the the kmix settings/channels etc

Is this kde-pure or was it a gnome install switched to kde later?

It was a live usb KDE 11.3 SUSE install, no I have sound inside the system(startup sound), just all video doesn’t work as well as flash.

Check my multi-media thread
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Also the audio issues thread by @oldcpu
SDB:Audio troubleshooting - openSUSE

Usually audio issues like this come down to misconfiguration

I think my thread about video had the same roots with my thread about hardware support with lenovo thinkpad EDGE here SPEAKERS BUG in Lenovo Thinkpad 13 EDGE

Did you rise the PCM Mixer in kmix to maximum? Flash makes noise over the PCM switch/mixer.

no its not, its not a PCM kmix problem, its a hardware problem I’m almost sure now

Hello everyone,

I got exactly the same problem.

I have sound in amarok (I can play mp3 files) and I hear sound when suse boots. But I don’t have sound when playing video or playing flash from youtube …

I have only default repositores enabled (except pacman):

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±-------------±----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | packman | packman | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/11.3 |
2 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
3 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
4 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
5 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.3-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |

All I can do is reiterate the need to check the mixer and channel settings in kmix!

Well,

It does not help. I tried to see options in kmix and alsamixer … All levels are up and still no sound in youtube.

Another interesting thing I have noticed: if I run vlc to open any movie I see the following message:

Potential ALSA version problem:
VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue.

Strange, did not have these issues on Fedora 13.

I was able to solve the problem.

Here is the solution which worked for me: No sound in flash and video in openSUSE « Just another blog …

In my case I don’t have separate controls in KMix for PCM, CD etc only Master (Asus Xonar D2X). With the default detected config I get sound in Amarok and other apps including notifications but not Flash in browser. My solution is to simply delete the card in Yast and reboot. Presto sound where it wasn’t before. Hey I don’t know why this works but it does. OpenSuse 11.3 64bit on Intel i7 720.

one has to create file .asoundrc in your home directory (~/.asoundrc) with the following content:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

I too had the same problem on my laptop and above solution worked for me.

Maybe it would help you to install pulse audio include pavucontrol.

yes, I agree, you can also manually setup your soundcard through Yast, that worked for me actually or either make .asoundrc file, that I think is the same

one has to create file .asoundrc in your home directory (~/.asoundrc) with the following content:

Code:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

I too had the same problem on my laptop and above solution worked for me.

after updating Kde to 4.5.1 the same problem returened. Also system sound is echoing thrice. It is really awkward and i could not listen to music or watch movie on opensuse.

it says “HDAATI SB (ALC861-VD-Analog) driver not loaded” during every startup. How do i enable the driver for the sound card. Also when i type alsamixer on the terminal it says “cannot open mixer: No such file or directory”. There is no volume control on the system tray.

I had the same problem and I solved it by creating .asoundrc file in home folder with the following contents:
pcm.!default{
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

If this configuration doesn’t fit try to read more at .asoundrc - ALSA wiki](http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc)

Same problem here.
Able to play mp3 from amarok
but no sound from youtube