No software updates since Plasma 6

I wonder if that could work with Leap? update/leap/15.5/sle habitually seems to take longer to refresh than all other repos combined, in combined total not unusually longer than the time it takes to get from Grub to greeter.

I am having similar problems. After upgrade to plasma 6, I am no longer receiving any updates from zypper. Discover seems to be providing a handful of updates daily.

In the past I would see update notifications in the desktop or via the command line every single day.

It has been four or more days since the lack of updates; which is extremely unusual.

There seems to be a massive missunderstanding. There ARE updates available if you use the right way to upgrade your Tumbleweed via zypper dup. The only missing stuff is the notifier.

The notifier can be installed by

sudo zypper in discover6-notifier

I have it installed already, but I don’t get any notifications for the updates. Is there something else that needs to be done to make it work?

I can’t speak to the UI notifications failing being the only issue for others - but for me - that is not the case. Running zypper refresh and zypper -vvvv dup does not show any updates either.

I get the same results with zypper as I get from yast2 UI. Nadda. Nyet. Nunca. Nine. None. No updates.

NOTE - I have also checked the enabled repositories - and they remain the same as prior to the upgrade.

Normally I do my updates via YaST UI … and that doesn’t show available packages. Hence I went dumpster diving - which led me to here - which led me to check zypper dup - which provides the same nothingness.

@shanegibson So what Tumbleweed snapshot are you on; cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION_ID

You should not use YaST for TW, only zypper dup

Why should I expect YaST to not work for Tumblweed? It worked perfectly smoothly and without a hitch for quite a long time … until this recent update round.

That is a fairly ridiculous position - in my opinion. I would expect YaST to be able to update the system equally as well as zypper. In effect they should be doing exactly the same things.

Up until a week ago … they were …

It was already explained countless times that for Tumbleweed, zypper dup needs to be used to upgrade it. It is even documented…

Thanks for asking - my system is at:

VERSION_ID="20240321"

That was the day I did the manual zypper dup to upgrade - and since then I have not received any updates. Again - I check all of the package repos to ensure they are still enabled.

$ sudo zypper repos
Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                                  | Name                          | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
---+----------------------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
 1 | 1password                              | 1Password Beta Channel        | No      | ----      | ----
 2 | 1password_Stable_Channel               | 1password Stable Channel      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 3 | SDB_Go_openSUSE_Factory                | SDB Go openSUSE Factory       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 4 | code                                   | Visual Studio Code            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 5 | download.nvidia.com-tumbleweed         | nVidia Graphics Drivers       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 6 | ftp.gwdg.de-Essentials                 | Packman Essentials Repository | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 7 | ftp.gwdg.de-openSUSE_Tumbleweed        | Packman Repository            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 8 | google-chrome                          | google-chrome                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
 9 | google-chrome-beta                     | google-chrome-beta            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
10 | openSUSE:repo-non-oss                  | repo-non-oss                  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
11 | openSUSE:repo-openh264                 | repo-openh264                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
12 | openSUSE:repo-oss                      | repo-oss                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
13 | openSUSE:repo-oss-debug                | repo-oss-debug                | No      | ----      | ----
14 | openSUSE:repo-oss-source               | repo-oss-source               | No      | ----      | ----
15 | openSUSE:update-tumbleweed             | update-tumbleweed             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
16 | opensuse-guide.org-openSUSE_Tumbleweed | libdvdcss repository          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
17 | tailscale-stable                       | Tailscale stable              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes

This is the latest snapshot. Your system is up to date.

That list of repositories is useless for others here because it does not contain the URLs, but only Aliases and Names local to your system. They can still be anything. Better do zypper lr -d . But I do not think the list is needed, because you seem to have the up-to-date snapshot.

As follow up to this thread … my YAST based updates are now working. It appears that the frequency of Tumbleweed updates has slowed a bit from what it was … however, YAST now is picking up and successfully installing dup updates as zypper would.

I’m not really sure why the belief that it’s not supposed to work … has been for a few years … continues do so … for me … via YAST without any problems.

You seem to be a bit stubborn. The only supported way to keep Tumbleweed up-to-date is by upgrading to to the new snapshot. This is in fact a distribution upgrade and thus done with zypper dup . YaST > Software has NO equivalent to zypper dup.

The fact that you seem to be happy by doing some action with YaST > Software, that probably is equivalent to zypper patch or zypper up` does not mean that it is a supported way of doing things. So only wait until things go wrong (and then ask for help on the forums).

2 Likes

I’m not (intentionally) trying to be stubborn. It appears to me … that YAST is in fact doing that. When I update in YAST, the update includes the openSUSE-release and openSUSE-release-Tumbleweed packages … which as I understood it, is “driving” the update from “old” Tumbleweed to “new” Tumbleweed. I’m leaving that statement intentionally vague.

At the end of the day … I believe I am updating in a manner that is equivalent to zypper dup. I am getting the daily-ish rolling updates. I regularly see from 50 to 400 packages being updated with each “release update”. These updates seem to happen at least 3 or more times a week (I really haven’t paid precise attention).

I completely understand that the statement “the only supported way” is doing zypper dup … and my use of YAST is “not supported” … but I am decoupling the statement of “supportability” from actual functionally what’s happening.

Honestly - NOT trying to be stubborn. I’m trying to understand what in YAST is happening the is functionally different. Because I don’t care if I’m doing it in an “unsupported” way from a statement standpoint.

From my limited openSUSE Tumbleweed experience over the last 2 years … it appears that I get regular updates applied via YAST.

I have never had any problems with Updates via Yast … for more then 10 years.

1. zypper dup will automatically downgrade package versions. Maintainers of xz had to jump through the whoops and provide the nonsensical package version 5.6.1.revertto5.4 exactly for such stubborn users who refuse to follow best practices and who would not get their packages reverted with zypper up or YaST otherwise. Downgrades are not uncommon in Tumbleweed.
  2. zypper dup is using more aggressive strategy to resolve dependency issues. Normal zypper up/YaST tries to keep installed packages where zypper dup would prefer to remove them if this resolves the conflict. Again, this is not uncommon that new software version changes its structure and dependencies.
  3. zypper dup will automatically remove historical packages marked for removal in the distribution metadata (contained in the package openSUSE-release). This may sometimes also have side effect of eliminating (or, better, preventing) dependency conflicts.

Thank you the clear definitions of the differences.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.