No session id found for uid error when using Network Manager after zypper dup

Hello Everyone,

I did a zypper dup, and now NetworkManager does not work. All my connections are gone if I try to add a connection, but the wireless interface is up and I am able to scan for BSSIDs.

Also, when I try to shut down, I go to the login screen instead. I suspect that the issue is with the PAM update, but I am not sure.

I was able to restore network connectivity via wicked, but it is much less convenient than NetworkManager.

Output of zypper lr -u

# | Alias                            | Name                       | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | URI                                

--+----------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+------------------------------------
--------------------------------
1 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss    | Main Repository (NON-OSS)  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumble
weed/repo/non-oss/               
2 | download.opensuse.org-oss        | Main Repository (OSS)      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumble
weed/repo/oss/                   
3 | download.opensuse.org-tumbleweed | Main Update Repository     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/update
/tumbleweed/                     
4 | openSUSE-20160417-0              | openSUSE-20160417-0        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumble
weed/repo/oss/                   
5 | packman                          | packman                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/p
ackman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
6 | repo-debug                       | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug  | No      | ----      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/
tumbleweed/repo/oss/             
7 | repo-source                      | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source | No      | ----      | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/source
/tumbleweed/repo/oss/            
edward@linux-azyr:/var> 

Output of journalctl | grep NetworkManager:

Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (lo): link connected
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (lo): new Generic device (carrier: ON, driver: 'unknown', ifindex: 1)
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  use BlueZ version 5
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  wpa_supplicant running
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: init -> starting
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  ModemManager available in the bus
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0) supports 5 scan SSIDs
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: starting -> ready
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  startup complete
Jun 07 21:48:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant
-available') [20 30 42]
Jun 07 21:48:24 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: ready -> inactive
Jun 07 21:49:21 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
Jun 07 21:49:29 linux-azyr sudo[3421]:   edward : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/home/edward ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl stop **NetworkMan**
ager.service
Jun 07 21:49:29 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  caught SIGTERM, shutting down normally.
Jun 07 21:49:29 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  (wlp1s0): device state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'unmanaged') 
[30 10 3]
Jun 07 21:49:29 linux-azyr **NetworkManager**[3397]: <info>  exiting (success)
Jun 07 21:49:29 linux-azyr audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=**NetworkManager** comm="systemd" ex
e="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
Jun 07 21:49:43 linux-azyr sudo[3445]:   edward : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/home/edward ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl start **NetworkMa**
nager.service

Is this a brand new upgrade to TW from some other openSUSE like LEAP?
If so, that explains what has happened, the network device name changed (LEAP implements the newer, recommended interface name based on the device instead of a generic “wlan0” device while TW is still using wlan0).

If you are already running TW and ran “zypper dup” then the cause of your problem is more mysterious, but the resolution might be the same.

Go into YAST > Network Settings
And verify you only have one wireless device listed, click “Edit” and verify it’s identified as wlp1s0 or wlan0.

Also, run the following command noting how your network interfaces are named, in particular whether you wireless interface is named wlan0 or wlp1s0

ip addr

I suspect that YAST and “ip addr” and Network Manager might be reporting different interface name.

Recommend removing the device(s) in YAST and rebooting, if things work as I expect your network devices should be re-recognized and interfaces should be re-created.
If that isn’t enough, you might need to rename/move the old interface file at the following location before rebooting

/etc/sysconfig/network/

TSU

I suggest that you disable repo 4. It appears to be a duplicate of repo 2.

I am having the same issue on Tumbleweed. I’ve had the install for about 8 or 9 months now. From what I have found it seems to be related to PolicyKit and systemd. After login I get the message “No session for pid ____” which happens to be lxpolkit (PolicyKit for LXDE, I assume?). Then I try to connect to a Wi-Fi network and get the same message as OP, “(32) No session found for uid ____ (unknown)”.

Some lines I found from the kernel log that might be relevant:

Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti dbus[1241]: [system] Activating systemd to hand-off: service name='org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1' unit='polkit.service'
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti dbus[1241]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1'
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti polkitd[1262]: Started polkitd version 0.113
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti NetworkManager[1258]: <info>  NetworkManager (version 1.0.12) is starting...
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti NetworkManager[1258]: <info>  Read config: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti systemd[1]: Started Network Manager.
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Wait Online...
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti NetworkManager[1258]: <info>  Loaded settings plugin ifcfg-suse: (C) 2008 Novell, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list. (/usr/lib64/NetworkManager/libnm-settin\
gs-plugin-ifcfg-suse.so)
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti NetworkManager[1258]: <info>  Loaded settings plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2015 Red Hat, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
Jun 07 23:38:07 tauceti polkitd[1262]: Loading rules from directory /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
Jun 07 23:38:32 tauceti.lan org.a11y.Bus[2181]: ** (process:2434): WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provide\
d by any .service files

If desired I can upload the entire kernel log. Not sure if any of that info above is helpful. Just like OP I had done a zypper dup, rebooted, and now NetworkManager seems to be broken.

This is a 1 month old Tumbleweed install.

If you try to reboot, do reboot or do you go to the login screen?

I have not tried that update (yet) on my Tumbleweed system.

Somebody in another thread has suggested:

# pam-config -a --systemd

to fix the problem. And yes, needing that change would cause the symptoms that you describe. You should be able to login as root at the command line.

Yes, this fixed it.

It is all over the Factory Mailing list.

Thanks!