No ppp for SUSE 11.1?

I just installed SUSE version 11.1 after several years using 10.1. I really like the newer version, but can’t connect to the web. My computer has a US Robotics 5610B internal modem. No high-speed here. So far I’ve used yast to define the modem, and ISP. I’ve installed wvdial and run wvdialconf, and installed pppd which purports to be a dialer. But no luck wvdial finds the modem at /dev/ttyS4, and likes it just fine but when I go to dial I get an error saying there’s no username or some such. In the past I have used KPPP, pppconfig, and gnome ppp, and others, but these do not seem to be available in SUSE 11.1.

Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Use

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

to find what you need. It will give you the repo to add to yast as well as list the package(s) searched for.

kppp , kde4-kppp, smpppd are available.

Please notice that latest version is 11.3 and 11.1 will reach its EOL december this year.

Lifetime - openSUSE

Did 10.1 had the “new” network manager to it or not?

I do not remember when the option to use either ifup method or the new networkmanager (which has a lot of different extra-packages to it). Maybe it will be easier to set it up through KNetworkManager if you do not run some web services.

Cheers and good luck.

Ok I got v. 11.3 and installed it - tried both Gnome and K no luck. In the past I’ve tried many different distros, and used KPPP, or wvdial, Gnome ppp, pppconfig, even kinternet, with No problem. Now I install SUSE which seems to have all the applications I need, and it makes dialup internet connection so difficult as to be UNuseable! I can’t be the only one having this trouble. Hate to give up and go back to Ubuntu. Help.

Finally got it working with qinternet. Bye.

On 2010-11-06 23:06, Robi2 wrote:
>
> I just installed SUSE version 11.1 after several years using 10.1.

11.1 is almost obsolete. Or are you talking about the enterprise version,
11 (no dot), service pack 1? If that is so, this is not the correct forum,
this is for openSUSE.

> In the past I have used KPPP, pppconfig, and gnome ppp, and
> others, but these do not seem to be available in SUSE 11.1.

I think all those tools are available. I can not check if they are in the
11.1 DVD, but they should. It would be a bad problem if they are not.

I have 11.2, and certainly I have wvdial and ppp - although I don’t use
them. My internet connection is now ADSL, I doubt I could try dialup, no
account.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)