No Operating System Found - Post Install

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Linux, so please be kind.

I have been trying to install openSUSE 11 a few times now on a Thinkpad T61.

I have tried the install many different ways with the same result.

After a successful install (no patches update done during install), I can login to the computer fine. I configure auto online updates. After it gathers updates and installs them it wants to reboot. Once the system is starting back up again I get a “No Operating System Found” message.

Another time I did try the updates during the install as well. Same result after it rebooted.

Obviously there is some update that is causing this to happen.

I’m stuck. I want to make sure the machine is updated, but it bombs after reboot.

Your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Please advise.

Regards.

Try using the automatic repair facility from the installation DVD. Boot off the DVD and select to “repair installed system”. Proceed and select to install “expert tools” a new bootloader first. See if that helps.

Sometimes when a new kernel gets installed initrd doesn’t get made
check /boot for it if initrd somenumber isn’t there run mkinitrd in a terminal as root
do so before you reboot
Suse 11.1 has been having this problem and mounting root partition and doing mkinitrd
after installation and before first boot solved the problem

Thanks for the feedback guys.

swerdna, I did tried your suggestion first. It said it created the new boot loader, then when I click finished, it brought me to a blue screen with a red error box. The blue screen reads: >>> Linuxrc v3.1.34 (Kernel 2.6.25.5-1.1-default) <<<
Red screen reads: An error occured during the installation. There is an ok button for the error window.
Then I am prompted with a screen to do many things, I chose reboot at that point. After it rebooted, I still ge No Operating System message.

dale14846, I’ll try your method next and post back.

Thanks!

Is there another OS on this T61?
Where did you originally install the grub bootloader? That’s where I would be looking. You can run the dvd repair and just work on the bootloader. Make absolutely sure it’s going to the right place, check EVERY detail carefully!

I have the same problem with installing SUSE 11.

I had an XP OS on my computer that didn’t work well, so I installed SUSE.

I erased the MBR with sdisk without results, but it worth a try for you. (although you must install the whole system again and this is not for dual boot)

Now I’m going to do someting with the grub.

Where exactly must it be?

thanks,

Martijn

caf4926 - No. Brand new hard drive, fresh install of SUSE. Never even seen windows except on a completely different drive not even in the computer right now.

As for where the boot loader was installed, whatever the defaults were for the install. I didn’t mess with any of that.

I am going to try a few things this evening and I will post back later.

Thanks everyone!

Again I would say:

Where did you originally install the grub bootloader? That’s where I would be looking. You can run the dvd repair and just work on the bootloader. Make absolutely sure it’s going to the right place, check EVERY detail carefully!