"No operating system found" after re-sizing /home with gparted

I resized my /home partition with gparted live to create room for a new NTFS partition to install winXP on.

Currently the partition setup says:

/dev/sda1 "/boot"
/dev/sda2 "/"
/dev/sda3 "/home"
/dev/sda5 "ntfs for windows xp" <- I created this after /dev/sda3 was resized
/dev/sda4 "swap"

Upon re-booting I get the famous “No operating system found”.
I’ve already marked the /boot partition as “active” using fdisk. But don’t know how to repair grub…

I’ve followed the thread “No operating system found” upon boot after partition resize.](http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/403556-no-operating-system-found-upon-boot-after-partition-resize-2.html)
I tried things like what is seen in post #13 but get error about /dev not being there or is not mounted when trying grub-install to /dev/sda1.

I have a gparted live cd at my disposal. I also have a openSUSE 12.1 DVD but it is at home and will have to wait to see if I can do something there from “recovery” mode… Though off the top of my head, I wouldn’t know really…

I tried to re-install grub but cannot launch grub it says /usr/bin does not exist.
I also tried fixing the grub boot problem but again, i can’t launch grub from a terminal in gparted live.

I got the knoppix v7 10mb boot only iso, but I’ve never tried it and I think repairing grub from gparted should be possible. Maybe I need to try testdisk from inside gparted somehow?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

I am learning how to re-size partitions to install WinXP on my laptop before I try it on the desktop.

On 2012-06-06 22:06, saultdon wrote:

> Upon re-booting I get the famous “No operating system found”.
> I’ve already marked the /boot partition as “active” using fdisk. But
> don’t know how to repair grub…

That message is not from grub, you are booting the old booter.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

So it sounds like I need to re-install grub? How do I make a “new booter”?

I understand I may need to re-install grub after I install windows xp into the new NTFS partition or just create an entry for it in the grub menu, but for now, I just want to be able to boot into openSUSE 12.1 again.

I’m simply trying to boot into opensuse after I’ve re-sized my /home partition. Is this possible or have I wrecked my system and need to re-install.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:36:03 +0000, saultdon wrote:

> I’m simply trying to boot into opensuse after I’ve re-sized my /home
> partition. Is this possible or have I wrecked my system and need to
> re-install.

http://en.opensuse.org/GRUB

There are some recovery options here that should get you on the right
track.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

This is great! Thanks a lot.

I will scour this material in a bit here and get back with my results and hopefully have a definitive answer!

On 2012-06-06 23:43, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:36:03 +0000, saultdon wrote:
>
>> I’m simply trying to boot into opensuse after I’ve re-sized my /home
>> partition. Is this possible or have I wrecked my system and need to
>> re-install.
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/GRUB
>
> There are some recovery options here that should get you on the right
> track.

I would try findgrub, but I’m no expert on it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I think after reading some more, that the best course of action is to re-install everything. This is no big task as I’ve archived my /home folder and cached my packages with zypper for quick retrieval.

It’s been suggested - to avoid over complicating things, and sating the appetite of windows - to install windows** first **into the first partition on the HD, then install opensuse into the rest of the HD under an extended partition (extended because I will most likely use the rest of the disk for openSUSE)

The partition layout will look something like:

/dev/sda
 /dev/sda1 -> Windows  XP (120GB)
'Extended'
 /dev/sdb1 -> / #*marked as active for booting*
 /dev/sdb2 -> /home
 /dev/sdb3 -> swap

On 2012-06-07 01:26, saultdon wrote:

> Code:
> --------------------
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sda1 → Windows XP (120GB)
> ‘Extended’
> /dev/sdb1 → / #-marked as active for booting-
> /dev/sdb2 → /home
> /dev/sdb3 → swap
> --------------------

Your layout is inconsistent. sdb correspond to a second disk, not to an
extended setup. It would probably be sda1, sda2, then sda5, sda6…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Yea, you’re right - that’s just what I thought it would look like when writing it from the top of my green head.
Learning something new everyday =)

Thanks for all the information everyone.

Just as a note
In openSUSE the extended partition will be given the boot flag, if the / partition is inside it.

I don’t know which version of Grub gparted and Knoppix are currently using. But you should reinstall Grub from openSUSE 12.1 live CD. It is uncomplicated and should normally work. Resizing the /home partition should not have affected the location of grub stage2 on your /boot partition (in which case it wouldn’t be found from the bootloader anymore) … but who knows with partitioning programs !? The first thing you have to learn is probably to become root and post the output of **fdisk -l **rather than vaguely describing your partition table.

su -
/sbin/fdisk -l

As I am a non-believer when I do not see what the command is and what it’s output, please post

fdisk -l

Because I am also a non-believer of a disk with five primary partitions.

On my laptop, I booted into gparted (0.12.1-5) and created a new msdos partition table. Then made a new ntfs partition for windows xp.

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            2048   314574847   157286400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2   *   314574848   976773119   331099136    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5       314576896   318777343     2100224   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6       318779392   486545407    83883008   83  Linux
/dev/sda7       486547456   976752639   245102592   83  Linux

The above is what “fdisk -l” looks like when I installed openSUSE after windows. In openSUSE I did the partitioning manually and made an extended partition of the rest of the disk with a swap, root and home partition.

The end result is what was pointed out before, the extended partition is what the PC ends up booting from. There is also a full grub menu that has winxp in it.

I’m having some issues with the desktop PC that are unrelated. Everytime I boot from the windows xp disk, it loads the initial setup files (blue DOS loading screen) and at the end gets to “setup is loading windows” where is pauses, then comes up a BSOD saying something about stopping the process because of preventing damage to hardware, please unplug any new harddrives and try again…

Can windows xp x64 not install on a 1TB SATA HD? I’m exploring this issue at superuser.

On 2012-06-10 21:46, saultdon wrote:
> Can windows xp x64 not install on a 1TB SATA HD? I’m exploring this
> issue at superuser.

Not unless you use SP2, I think.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I just tried to do the same process with a slipstreamed cd that had SP2, still no dice.

Windows XP installed fine with the virtual machine method seen here: Make a bootable usb to install Windows XP from Linux - Super User

I’ve also got grub setup with a menu entry, but when I select the windows entry, it goes to the windows logo, freezes then after a blue screen, it restarts.
I’m about to go over some bootlog files and Event Viewer entries.