No mouse pointer or fullscreen controls in VLC

Hi everyone,

I have Tumbleweed on a Thinkpad T440s laptop with Intel graphics. I have a problem with VLC, both in the official Tumbleweed repo version and in the Packman version. When the mouse passes over the VLC window while playing video, the pointer disappears. And in fullscreen mode, the VLC onscreen controls don’t appear (they are enabled in the settings). This issue only occurs in openSUSE. Am I the only one? Any other users here with the same issue? And if so, is there a workaround?

Thanks a lot.

Hm?
Haven’t you already filed a bug report, and also posted to the Packman mailing list? (I replied there)

So yes, this seems to be another regression in combination with Qt 5.5.1, I have that here as well.
Downgrading Qt5 to 5.4.2 (I am on 13.2) fixes it, but that’s of course no option on Tumbleweed.

Another workaround (the same as for the resize bug): Enable “Use custom skin” in VLC’s settings, or disable “Integrate video in interface” (but with the latter one, you also won’t get onscreen controls in full screen mode).

Oops, my apologies, I didn’t realize the Packman contact address went to a mailing list, I thought it just went directly to the developer. And yes, I did file a bug report, but no replies there yet.

I’m not convinced that this is a Qt 5.5.1 regression, because I have the same Qt version on Manjaro (Arch based) and none of these VLC bugs exist.

Well, actually there is no Packman VLC developer.
Packman just links to the package in openSUSE and builds it with additional codecs. It is maintained by openSUSE’s VLC maintainer though, who also maintains the VLC repo (which also just links to the same openSUSE VLC package).

I’m not convinced that this is a Qt 5.5.1 regression, because I have the same Qt version on Manjaro (Arch based) and none of these VLC bugs exist.

It is definitely a regression with openSUSE’s Qt 5.5.x (5.5.0 and 5.5.1).
As I wrote, it doesn’t happen with 5.4.2 from the standard 13.2 repos.

I don’t why the problem doesn’t exist on Manjaro.
Maybe they have some patch in their Qt5 or VLC packages to fix that, maybe we have some patch that causes it…
Maybe they have a different VLC version?
Maybe they still build VLC against Qt4?

I checked, and that is indeed the case.

Manjaro’s VLC uses Qt4, so it’s obvious that you don’t see a problem with Qt 5.5 there…

I see. And just a side question: does Packman also use openQA for automated testing of their packages?

Ah, nice catch. You’re absolutely right, Arch has the same VLC version as Tumbleweed, but I just now realized that it’s rendered with Qt4. Interesting. Is there some advantage to compiling it for Qt5 support? Seems to me like a logical quick-fix for VLC until Qt5 gets fixed would be to compile it against Qt4, but I imagine it’s more complex than that.

No.
They barely have enough resources to build all packages…

Also it probably wouldn’t make much sense, as at least the packages taken from openSUSE are tested there anyway (or not).
That’s one of the advantages of just linking to a package in OBS/Factory.

Is there some advantage to compiling it for Qt5 support?

No, I don’t think so.
Except that it is in active development and not unsupported/dead.
And Qt5 is more modular (package-wise), so you don’t necessarily need to install the full Qt5 for just VLC.

And maybe better integration with Plasma5/KF5 and other Qt5 based desktops (lxqt e.g.).

Seems to me like a logical quick-fix for VLC until Qt5 gets fixed would be to compile it against Qt4, but I imagine it’s more complex than that.

Not really.
The package contains a check for the openSUSE version and builds against Qt5 on 13.2 and higher and Qt4 on 13.1.
One would only have to disable this check and build against Qt4 unconditionally.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Maybe the Packman guys could consider just building VLC against Qt4 for then, for the time being, until Qt5 is in better shape.

I’d say it would be better to make the change in OBS (multimedia:libs), it would be propagated to all repos then (Factory/Tumbleweed, Packman, and VideoLAN/VLC).

for the time being, until Qt5 is in better shape.

Well, it’s not necessarily Qt5 that’s in a bad shape.
It might also be VLC that does something “stupid”/wrong that just happened to work upto 5.4.

I don’t know.