no messages file in /var/log

I have no messages file in /var/log . Also no system logs in yast, that seems like a serious problem

Since 13.2, systemd’s journal is used only by default (this applies to Tumbleweed as well of course).
You can access it via journalctl (see “man journalctl” and “man systemd-journald”).

If you want to have /var/log/messages, install some syslog implementation (rsyslog, which was the default in the last years, syslog-ng, or syslogd).
This will force you to uninstall systemd-logger, but this will not disable systemd’s journal!
If you want to disable systemd’s on-disk journal as well, remove the directory /var/log/journal/.

On 01/08/2015 09:56 AM, roberto68 wrote:
>
> I have no messages file in /var/log . Also no system logs in yast, that
> seems like a serious problem

Why? It’s just a filename that has previously been specified as a target
for data by the syslog service; apparently it is not on your system currently.

Are you after anything in particular? Have you checked the system
configuration to see where those sought messages should be per your
configuration?

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

I find it a little strange that Yast still has the System Log under Miscellaneous when this is not used by default under systemd. Would this be considered a bug? It certainly adds nothing to the otherwise polished Yast tool as a whole.

Well, it still makes sense if you upgraded your system (instead of freshly installing it), or install a syslog daemon.

Would this be considered a bug? It certainly adds nothing to the otherwise polished Yast tool as a whole.

It has been reported already:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900830
And according to that bug report, a YaST module to display systemd’s journal is in the works. (you can find a link to a prototype in the bug report)

I do agree though that taking care of this should have been done before the switch to systemd journal only…

or there’s an option to specify file in yast - so waht’s the fiel to display journalctl ?

“journalctl” is a program to display the journal. The journal is not a text file, so you cannot display it in YaST at all.

Fair point sir :slight_smile:

It has been reported already:
900830 – [13.2 RC1] [yast2] Yast module "System log" points to non-existent /var/log/messages
And according to that bug report, a YaST module to display systemd’s journal is in the works. (you can find a link to a prototype in the bug report)

I do agree though that taking care of this should have been done before the switch to systemd journal only…

Okay, thanks for that info I’ll go and have a look.

Just a note: the new YaST Journal module seems to be finished, and will be included in Factory/Tumbleweed soon:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-02/msg00128.html

It is available for 13.2 as well, see the mail.

And judging from the screenshots it seems to be much more useful than the old module ever was… :wink:
(which basically just displayed a text file, the same as any text editor/viewer or cat/less would do)