No letters when logging in

Dear Members,

I’ve installed OpenSUSE 12.3 on VMware 9. Everything was ok till final installation. I’ve made media updates to get media codecs. Now when trying to boot SUSE and get the text field to enter the username, it doesn’t accept letters. I tried to enter numbers and it did. I didn’t make the username with numbers so that I cann’t have access to my account because it doesn’t accept letters. Please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi, welcome

Please explain “media updates”. How?
And, which desktop is being used?
Did logging in work before these “media updates”?

Dear Knurpht,

Media updates include adding restricted codecs, Packman repository, Libdvdcss, and gstreamer. The desktop used is KDE. I made the updates as explained here using terminal.

Restricted formats/12.3 - openSUSE Community Wiki

Logging in was working well before updates. I don’t remember if it was working after updates or not.

That should be OK.
Is this a USB keyboard? Do “lights” on Capslock etc work?
Have you tried the keyboard on an other machine, or tried an other keyboard on this machine?

Well, it’s a laptop. Caps lock is working fine. I tried the keyboard in other things. I can write numbers from it in the username field, but not letters. This is the second time for this problem to happen with me. The first time I’ve uninstalled SUSE. I re-installed it just to make sure none of the installed programs on the first one would have caused the problem. I can’t find any reason for this problem.

In the login screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+F1, if these keys work, it should bring you to the console. If so, try to login with your username, if the keyboard works here, we’d have to find out what does this.
BTW. If you have a spare USB keyboard, simply plug it in, should work if the laptop’s keyboard is defect.

Ok I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1. I logged to my account. I can write letters, I’ve even logged to the root account. The keyboard works fine in the console. So, what is causing the problem of GUI login?

On 2013-09-24 23:36, mqadry wrote:
>
> Ok I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1. I logged to my account. I can write letters,
> I’ve even logged to the root account. The keyboard works fine in the
> console. So, what is causing the problem of GUI login?

A change of mode? Function mode locked in? Numeric keyboard mode?
Something vmware does?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Dear robin_listas,

I’ve no idea about change of mode or function mode. where can I search for a solution for this?

On 2013-09-25 00:46, mqadry wrote:
>
> Dear robin_listas,
>
> I’ve no idea about change of mode or function mode. where can I search
> for a solution for this?

I don’t know. But laptops have keys to change the mode of the keyboard,
to change what other keys do. Usually labelled “Fn”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I don’t know. But laptops have keys to change the mode of the keyboard,
to change what other keys do. Usually labelled “Fn”.

No, no, the Fn key doesn’t work with letters. It works only with F1----F12.