No kernel found after zypper dup from 11.1 to 11.3 on Asus EEE PC 901

Hi,

After successfully installing 11.3 M4 through GM on a test disk on my main machine, I upgraded the main disk on that machine with zypper dup from 11.2 to 11.3.

As that went well, I decided to upgrade my netbook Asus EEE PC 901 from 11.1 tot 11.3 through zypper dup. While installation gave no errors, the system won’t boot anymore, that is, grub loads and presents the boot menu, but doesn’t find the kernel:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-pae root=/dev/diskby-id/ata-ASUS-PHISON_SSD_SOQ2780080-part1 spash=silent vga=315

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue....

Pressing a key gives the same grub (0.97) menu as on start, except it is not graphical.

Choosing any other option of the boot menu, including the still present 11.1 entries, gives the same error.

What went wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

jehojakim

Updating from 11.1 to 11.3 means skipping 11.2. This is not recommended and may fail. I recommend to save all data and do a fresh install.

I took, after some reading about grub, a shorter turn: I edited the menu item, and saw it pointed to the wrong disk. Repaired that, and the system booted OK.

There are some other hick-ups, but these are for other forums.

Thanks for your reply!

jehojakim