No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

I have an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard and was using Optical out for sound without issues running OpenSuse 11.2. I then got rid of my receiver and wanted to just use HDMI sound. I couldn’t get it to work so I upgraded to OpenSuse 11.3. I simply went to the Sound control panel applet and changed it to Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI). I can not get any sound from it on OpenSuse 11.3 either. I have ran sound tests from the command line “speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav” which all run without errors, but nothing comes out of the speakers.

I have ran the suggestion of one post “alsa-info.sh” and here are my results:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=27cda82669995372df91f42ea9860267e7079411

I have also tried the following post which did not resolve the problem since it seems to be Ubuntu based. I have undid everything from the post as well to make sure I don’t stray to far from normal.

[HOWTO] HDMI audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU - XBMC Community Forum](http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=75019)

Are you using Gnome or KDE ? If using KDE, ensure the settings/order of devices in KMENU > Configure Desktop > Multimedia is the same as the order of devices in YaST > Hardware > Sound

I am using Gnome.

Anyone else have any ideas? I do not want to go back to Ubuntu cause OpenSuse is so much easier and better to use. I also use iFolder and would miss that as well but I can’t use this without sound since it acts as my HTPC. But looks like there are fixes for this issue on Ubuntu so I may have to as a last resort.

I might be able to help with KDE, but not Gnome. I’m not familiar with Gnome.

I switched to KDE and checked the device order and in Yast Sound I have one device but I have 3 devices in Multimedia. I tried changing the order but it didn’t so anything. In Multimedia I have:

HDA Nvidia, Nvidia HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Digital)
HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Analog)

In Yast Sound I have:

MCP79 High Definition Audio

I don’t know much about these devices and alsa support provided.

Check if the nvidia audio devices appear via

/sbin/lspci -vv

This short thread dealt with a similar issue (openSUSE 11.2). I’m wondering if an alsa upgrade might be necessary?

I looked up the motherboard and it is said to use the **Realtek ALC1200 **so I am sure this is where the audio is being sent out through the HDMI connector. I read the following suggestion when going into the mixer:

… go into the volume control, on the switches tab and deselect Headphone and select both IEC958 and ‘IEC958 Default PCM’ to get it to work …
Further, I found suggestions to add the option “options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=1”, perhaps in the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file, but I am not sure about that.

Thank You,

Don’t forget to enable your mixer’s IEC958 controls. From the output of the diagnostic script in your first post, they were disabled.

ATI it work.

Connecting PC sound on TV with HDMI and Audio cable | Sontaya’s | Blog

Sorry, Thai language.

I enabled everything in the mixer and made sure everything was unmuted but that didn’t help. One other thing I noticed is that when I run **cat /proc/asound/version
** it brings back Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1. Yet according to YAST what should be installed is the newer version 1.0.23. I tried reinstalling it in YAST but the cat remains at version 1.0.22. Should I manually try upgrading it to the newer version?

Ok I don’t know what I did but now when I go into Multimedia and I click on HDA Nvidia, NVIDIA HDMI (HDMI Audio Output) and press Test I hear sound come out of my speakers! It is highest in my priority setting as well. That part is exciting but when I go into an application and play sound I get nothing.

I figured out how to get the Sound Test to work and not work. In kMix if I mute “IEC958 2” it breaks it, if I unmute it I can hear sound. I think we are getting closer.

If using KDE, ensure your order of sound devices in KMenu > Configure Desktop > Multimedia is the same as that in YaST > Hardware > Sound.

If HDMI is an audio device, then ensure you put it as the top priority (ie top on the list).

That is where things are different. In KMenu > Configure Desktop > Multimedia I have 3 devices and the one I want to use is at the top of the priority.

HDA Nvidia, Nvidia HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Digital)
HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Analog)

In Yast Sound I only have:

MCP79 High Definition Audio

and it is configured as sound card 0

A wild guess … does HDMI audio work with root permissions?

If so, what happens if you add your user to group “audio” and then restart?

Tried that and no difference. I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the “IEC958 2” in the mixer? There is a little picture above it of a audio jack, but in Multimedia under kMenu it is definitely first in the priority order and the sound test works.

Fixed… no idea how I did it but I simply went back into Gnome and made the profile HDMI like I had it before and it worked! I went back into KDE and still couldn’t get it to work but everything works out of Gnome so thats good enough for me.

Glad its working for you now .