No grub after kernel compile

Unfortunately for me the only way that I can get my external usb hd to power down when my system shuts down is to modify the kernel and reinstall it. I’ve done this several times before on Ubuntu and also on openSUSE 11.0 without any issues.

I’ve tried to do this twice now with openSUSE 11.1 without any success. After I’m done building the kernel I go to the Boot loader in Yast and check to make sure that my new kernel is the default kernel and that it’s pointing to my new kernel image and my new initrd. Unfortunately, when I reboot my system after installing the new kernel, I’m not shown the Grub loader. The only thing that I have is the message, “No operating system loaded” or something like that and I have to reinstall 11.1 to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here or what I could do to fix the problem when I get brave enough to try it again? I did try using the DVD installation disk to repair the system but that didn’t work. It did tell me “boot loader config file contains errors” when it scanned that part of the system, I just wasn’t sure what to do to fix it.

You need to check under the advanced tab in the bootloader section, to make sure grub is going where you want it.

There seem to have been some issues with this and SUSE seems to be defaulting to something different to the users current setting.

Can you post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Pretty sure there is something wrong there.

Also are you sure that your usb drive does not power off by default in 11.1.
As in 11.1 it works much better on my machine and have no problems with usb drives.
Both ntfs and ext3

/Geoff

Thanks for the help guys. It may be some time until I get up the nerve to try this again. I’m getting tired of reinstalling 11.1 all the time:) When that finally happens I’ll be sure to check your suggestions.

I am sure that the drive doesn’t shut down in 11.1. I just tried it again to make sure. From what I’ve found in the past it’s possibly an issue with my Shuttle system. What the patch does is to suspend the usb and not actually shut it down. Does anyone know if this is something that I can fix without changing the kernel?

What’s really strange is that I don’t have any problems with it shutting down when I’m running windows and I power off my machine.

I’ve decided to start a new thread in Hardware concerning the issue of my usb hd not powering down. Maybe if I can get that figured out, I won’t have to ever compile a kernel again :slight_smile: